View topic - Teach a thing or two Oakville?

Teach a thing or two Oakville?

Post all your general ultimate postings here.

Do you play Ultimate in Oakville?

Yes
No votes
No
100%

Total votes : 3

Teach a thing or two Oakville?

Postby das » Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:07 pm

Would anyone be able to teach a few friends and I a thing or two about Ultimate in Oakville? We've been playing for about 5 years now and we don't want any clue of how good we are. We're willing to learn and we're passionate about ultimate even though we have never been in a league.
das

Re: Teach a thing or two Oakville?

Postby mkukucska89 » Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:19 pm

das wrote:Would anyone be able to teach a few friends and I a thing or two about Ultimate in Oakville? We've been playing for about 5 years now and we don't want any clue of how good we are. We're willing to learn and we're passionate about ultimate even though we have never been in a league.

The best advice I could give would be to make the trek to Toronto for the "Midseason Tournament" on July 5th/6th and play on the Hat Team. While historically the hat team isn't very strong it would give you the opportunity to compete against recreational level players (assuming that's similar to you if you've never played in a league) and see where you stack up.

The other great thing about Midseason is that players from all skill levels will be in attendance. Rec players, Intermediate players, and yes competitive and even GOAT players. Most would be very happy to watch you for a point and give you some feedback or to help you with individual skills such as throwing or marking provided they are on a bye. There will also be plenty of touring level volunteers around with not a lot to do during the day so during your bye I'm sure some of them would be willing to help you out.

If you can't afford to play in the tournament you could always volunteer in the AM by e-mailing admin@tuc.org and spend the afternoon walking around watching high level play and asking for tips. Don't be shy! If you decide to come out let me know and I'll make sure to get your info and find you during my bye round for some pointers.

If commuting from Oakville -> Toronto is an issue keep in mind that GO Transit is affordable and has a few routes that run into the city.

Of course if commuting is completely out of the question there is a (small) Oakville Ultimate Facebook group. It only has 13 members but it appears to have just started up this month so expect that to grow pretty quickly.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/671963552840216/

Good luck!
Kuku
mkukucska89
TUC Programs and Events Manager

Postby das » Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:21 pm

I created that Facebook group... I have exams at the moment but I am thinking about making the commute. I posted this to see if there were any other options rather than making the commut.
das

Return to Anything Ultimate!