View topic - Where are all the women?

Where are all the women?

Post all your league discussions here.

Where are all the women?

Postby larrypmac » Mon May 14, 2018 4:02 pm

So many teams looking to add ladies to their roster this summer. Hat teams have guys, looking for women.

I'm all for gender equality and I much prefer playing co-ed leagues than open... but it's going to be a tough summer when I have five girls and nine guys, and the girls are known for missing more games than the guys, too. :cry:

Accepting female volunteers for Tuesday Intermediate West if anyone wants to help out! :D :shock:
larrypmac

Re: Where are all the women?

Postby keith1 » Sat May 19, 2018 3:26 pm

Agreed .. something needs to happen.

I've captained teams since 2002, and year by year it's more difficult to field enough women. I reached out for plenty of help (league, coaches, volunteers) "please send any women looking to play an extra night" - even offered to cover their fees - the feedback was always the same - "we're short women too".

By the time we replaced a couple players - it was May, and we lost our spot - the div wasn't full. So sad, because half our team is under 20, the new generation, and we don't have a team for them.

Not sure what the solution is but more dialogue can only be helpful.

Cheers!
keith1

Postby supermita » Mon May 21, 2018 10:54 am

Honestly, as a female I can tell you that the mansplaining and condescension from some male players is a turnoff. I remember running into a former female teammate on a hat team, recalling how "douchey" some guys were to us; also not throwing to us or letting girls pick up the disc. The women's clinics help, but I think a lot of women get turned off and bail.

- Mita
supermita

Postby petertaylor02 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:06 pm

Condescension from anyone is a turn off. It sucks that the experiences you and other women have had with what I hope has been only a few males have turned many of you away from co-ed.

But where do we go from here? As a co-captain on my teams, it's always a feat to get female subs on any given night let alone having to find additional subs for Pick It Up week. At least with a fixed ratio everyone who has paid to play knows exactly what they are paying for. Also the women on my team are the backbone of the team. We wouldn't have anywhere near the success we do if they didn't lead us on the field. In terms of a culture change, which I think is the point of Pick It Up week, it seems like my team is fulfilling the idea of it yet we still struggle to find bodies with the floating ratio and Pick It Up. If gender equity is the issue here then have an even number of players on the field. If you want to incorporate the role of women into the game more then I don't believe having more women on the field when most teams can't even find them, nor are they paying the team fees, is the solution either. I would lobby for points having to be thrown by women only or a minimum number of female throws per point/possession.

In summary, if guys are so boneheaded that using your women at any point is a greater risk than your men, then they can very easily exclude 4 women instead of 3 on the field. I don't think it's a strong route to go for change when the only change you're mandating is at the start of each point and hoping it trickles into the gameplay. Plus it takes away playing time from paying team members. And women subs are hard to find because some other guys have turned a lot of them off of co-ed.

P.S. If gender equity is the issue then why do women have their own gender and all other genders are lumped into Open?
petertaylor02

Postby redi42 » Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:27 pm

Since we have a database of TUC players going back quite a way, it seems it would be pretty straightforward to plot the gender distribution in TUC over the years - is this possible?

is it getting better or worse?
redi42

Postby redi42 » Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:31 am

Hey TUC, I’m legitimately interested to know - what is the current gender ratio of TUC as a whole, and how is it changing? Are we successfully getting closer to equity? If not, that seems like something to focus on improving.
redi42

Postby redi42 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:56 pm

Matt Denton kindly provided the following percentages of women players in TUC based on 2017 data:

Full Adults are 38%, Intro 46%, post-sec 44%, under 18 31%. Overall 38%

It seems to me that this is where the problem is. Either we need to cap the number of open registrations, limit the number of teams, or sign more women up to the league. Simply calling out teams as "unspirited" because they can't get enough women out to consistently play 4W/3O, which is the status quo, is not going to get us anywhere.
redi42

Postby wicccked » Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:27 pm

38% is pretty close to the required 3/7 ratio (which is 42.8%), so it is possible that the problem is lower female attendance, not lower number of females in TUC overall. I'm not sure if there is a limit on allowed number of females in a team, but if there is, raising it probably makes sense.
Another option would be to offer men-only HAT leagues every season so that guys who can't find a team because there isn't enough demand for them would have a league to play in.
wicccked

Postby GregS » Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:23 pm

redi42 wrote:Full Adults are 38%, Intro 46%, post-sec 44%, under 18 31%. Overall 38%

It seems to me that this is where the problem is. Either we need to cap the number of open registrations, limit the number of teams, or sign more women up to the league.

With female intro and post-secondary memberships much higher than the overall percentage, it seems we are signing up more women to the league. And this has been true for a while, yet the overall percentage isn't improving. So, for me the question isn't so much "how do we get more women in the league", it's "how do we keep all the new women in the league". Seems that they're signing up, playing a season or two, then going away. Could it be because of the sorts of things Mita is talking about? Seems pretty likely.

wicccked wrote:I'm not sure if there is a limit on allowed number of females in a team, but if there is, raising it probably makes sense.

There is absolutely not such a limit. Never has been.

wicccked wrote:Another option would be to offer men-only HAT leagues every season so that guys who can't find a team because there isn't enough demand for them would have a league to play in.

I've also had this thought in the past, but we do have a men's hat league for the indoor season, and despite dozens of guys wanting to play Parity league and not getting in, the men's league often struggles to get filled. So, it would seem that men are wanting to play co-ed.
Did you get that thing I sent you?
GregS
TUC Webmaster

Postby GregS » Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:39 pm

petertaylor02 wrote:I would lobby for points having to be thrown by women only or a minimum number of female throws per point/possession.

Ideas like this have been discussed in the past, but many women are uncomfortable with the amount of additional pressure that it puts on them. Making them uncomfortable seems counter to the point of the exercise.

petertaylor02 wrote:P.S. If gender equity is the issue then why do women have their own gender and all other genders are lumped into Open?

That's not really a good characterization of that change. It's a hard thing for me to put into words, perhaps because it's not an issue I've personally faced. Nor have most of us, but please trust me when I say that for those who have, it's easily important enough that the rest of us should be saying "we support you in this" rather than nitpicking at it. If you really want an answer to your question, I'd suggest that there are many resources on gender equity on the internet that would give you a better understanding of the issue than a post on the TUC BBS ever will. And if you don't really want an answer, then I'd suggest that your comment was intended to be snarky, and that attitude is part of the problem that we're discussing here, not part of the solution.
Did you get that thing I sent you?
GregS
TUC Webmaster

Postby wicccked » Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:29 pm

GregS wrote:I've also had this thought in the past, but we do have a men's hat league for the indoor season, and despite dozens of guys wanting to play Parity league and not getting in, the men's league often struggles to get filled. So, it would seem that men are wanting to play co-ed.

Hmm, I played in the men's HAT league last year and we pretty much never had a problem with attendance (finding subs was easy on the rare occasion that we needed them). This year the league is not offered anymore =(
If the men's league struggle to get filled, it could be due to an inconvenient location or day of week, not necessarily the fact that it's not co-ed.
wicccked

Postby pferder » Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:59 pm

I'm surprised all these men putting their heads together weren't able to figure out where all the women went!
pferder

Return to Talk TUC League