View topic - 11th edition...is Etiquette considered a Rule?

11th edition...is Etiquette considered a Rule?

Clarify Ultimate Rules and post other useful Ultimate related stuff!

11th edition...is Etiquette considered a Rule?

Postby rchaos » Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:39 pm

Something came up recently in a game around delay of game calls by the marker. I looked up the 11th edition and found the relevant rules:

XII. A) 5. If an offensive player unnecessarily delays putting the disc into play in violation of rule XIX.B, a defender within three meters of the spot the disc is to be put into play may issue a delay of game warning instead of calling a violation. If the behavior in violation of rule XIX.B is not immediately stopped, the marker may initiate and continue a stall count, regardless of the actions of the offense. In order to invoke this rule, after announcing delay of game, the marker must give the offense two seconds to react to the warning, and then announce disc in before initiating the stall count.

XIX. B) It is the responsibility of all players to avoid any delay when starting, restarting, or continuing play. This includes standing over the disc or taking more time than reasonably necessary to put the disc into play.

Although, XII A.5. states that XIX B is a "rule", it actually sits in the section under "etiquette". So I am not sure how that should be interpreted. After all etiquette to me implies that it is a code of sportsmanship and courtesy, not necessarily a hard rule. Furthermore, the wording suggests that the mark can call a violation if he/she so chooses, but alternatively, he/she can call a delay of game?

Anyone want to take a crack at this?

Furthermore, are all of the "rules" under the Etiquette section actually a hard rule, or is it more a courtesy or honour code that we should follow?
rchaos

Postby GregS » Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:09 pm

Other rules in section XIX include wording like "should inform", "should identify", "should echo". The presence of the word "should" indicates to me that these are recommendations. XIX.B says "it is", which is stronger wording, and so strikes me as a requirement instead. Maybe I've read too many technical specifications, where the words "may", "should" and "must" are often clearly defined right at the beginning, so that ambiguity exists only where it is explicitly allowed by the wording.
Did you get that thing I sent you?
GregS
TUC Webmaster

Postby Peeters » Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:07 pm

Etiquette says don't delay restarting play.

Rules give penalties if they do. Etiquette becomes moot. It's one of those rare cases where actual teeth is given to a breach of etiquette by the rules.

Have we really come down to this, by the way? Nitpicking over whether something's Rule or Etiquette? Spirit of the Game, people. Or maybe I'm just getting jaded. :)
Peeters

Postby Mortakai » Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:50 pm

GregS wrote:Other rules in section XIX include wording like "should inform", "should identify", "should echo". The presence of the word "should" indicates to me that these are recommendations. XIX.B says "it is", which is stronger wording, and so strikes me as a requirement instead.

Bingo!

Consider them part of the rules... because that's exactly what they are.
Mortakai

Return to Ultimate Rules and Tools