View topic - Question on Zone Defense: Which Side to Force in Crosswind?

Question on Zone Defense: Which Side to Force in Crosswind?

Sharing the Knowledge!

Moderator: ethan_m

Question on Zone Defense: Which Side to Force in Crosswind?

Postby okleydo » Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:36 pm

Hello fellow ultimate players,

Recently I learned the zone defense, and there are some discussions about which side to force in a crosswind scenario.

Let's assume the force is always the same in this case, so we won't consider the funny defense like forcing sideline or forcing middle for now. In this example, my team is on defense, and I'm standing on the home side toward the field. The opponent team is going from right to left. Also, let's say the crosswind direction is blowing into my face. In this scenario, which side should my team force?

Here's the dilemma: One argument says that we should force backhand (home), because the wind will likely blow it out of bounds. On the other hand, another argument says that we should force flick (away), since a right handed flick in this kind of crosswind is very difficult, unless you put some IO in there.

So, who's right?
okleydo

Postby Big Country » Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:54 pm

From my perspective you always want to keep the disc from getting to the power side of the field with a cross wind. The power side is the the upwind side. If the disc is on that side line it is much easier to complete a huck as there is more room for error. As such I would suggest to force with the wind. So if the wind is blowing from away side to home, force home. Besides making it more difficult to get the disc to the power side it is also much harder to break the cup upwind to the away side. Once on the home sideline and you put a trap on, it is difficult to get out of it. This has always been my belief, anyone else have an opinion different from mine.
Big Country

Postby GregS » Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:40 pm

Most of what BC said applies whether you're playing zone or man, actually.

The only thing I'd add is that if you force into the wind (away, in this case), the disc is more likely to get high and floaty. If your team is significantly taller and/or more athletic than the opposition, you are more likely to come down with those high throws, so choosing a force that makes those throws more likely can have benefits. Without this specific advantage, I'd vote for forcing with the wind (home).

Of course, if the wind is coming across at a diagonal instead of perpendicular to the field, then things change again...
Did you get that thing I sent you?
GregS
TUC Webmaster

Postby muskokajoe » Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:48 pm

I'm in the six-of-one camp, myself. Either you're giving them the downwind throw, and then punishing them when they try to break upwind, or you give them the upwind swing and try to punish them then.

On my teams, (zone or not) I'm pretty happy if everyone holds a force, and it's a bonus if the forces are all the same. ;)
"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
muskokajoe

Postby okleydo » Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:35 pm

Fascinating stuff!!! Thanks guys!

On GregS's note about quasi-cross wind situation (diagonal cross wind instead of perpendicular), pray do tell what the offense/defense should do! It is indeed quite common, but we usually just treat is as a perpendicular cross wind. What do you do differently?
okleydo

Postby GregS » Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:03 am

When winds get diagonal, there are all sorts of fun calculations you can do based on things like just what angle it's coming at, how strong it is, typical angle of release for forehands and backhands, how strong you think each of those throws are for their main handlers, and whether you want to force them to make throws where the wind will be under the disc lifting it or throws where the wind will be pushing it down.

Teams also sometimes adjust their force depending on whether they think they're more likely to get turnovers by pressuring throws between the handlers or by making it more attractive to throw upfield and then clamping down on the mids.

In other words, there are too many variables to try to summarize, and lots of things to think about next time it gets windy!
GregS
TUC Webmaster

Postby okleydo » Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:57 pm

"Whoa", was what I muttered when I finished reading ;p It was too complicated! Though, I'll for sure try things out a bit next time there is diagonal cross wind going on. Thanks for your comments~
okleydo

Postby GregS » Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:01 pm

I have been known to over-analyze situations...
GregS
TUC Webmaster

Return to Clinics and Player Development