View topic - Advice for running a clinic.

Advice for running a clinic.

Sharing the Knowledge!

Moderator: ethan_m

Advice for running a clinic.

Postby nyxll » Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:23 pm

I am out in Durham Region. I have two girls who are itching to play. they are 8 and 11. There isn't anything out here for leagues and such, but I am trying to stir interest. I figured the best way was to try and hold some clinics. Is there a better way?

Next summer I want to put together a 9-12 team, and don't have the expertise in teaching kids. I have a few people who have played on recreational touring teams willing to help but no one who has coached.

I was at the Spirit games Saturday in the summer and saw a few coaches who were doing awesome things with the kids. I was impressed at the development in just a few hours. Whoever you were, you all did an incredible job with those kids.

I haven't been able to find an ultimate coaching program, but I am searching. I am willing to drive my kids to a few clinics, but am really hoping to develop a program out here.

The questions I have are:
What is the best way to drum up interest?
Are winter clinics worth it? (was thinking of renting space so an adult clinic could run at the same time.)
Are there any other Peewee aged teams out there?
Where can I find a good program to run the kids through? (was thinking of just working on skills for the first season at least, then build on strategy etc when the kids are older/experienced.

thanks
nyxll

Postby -JR- » Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:13 pm

The Toronto Ultimate Club is hosting a Junior Girls Clinic Programme starting in January, this is exactly what you are looking for:

http://www.tuc.org/Juniors/Junior-Girls ... Programme/

The programme could give you some insight into coaching techniques and obviously benefit your 2 girls.

TUC does not currently offer leagues for players under 15, although it is our goal to try and create them moving forward. It is probably best to stir up enough interest for a clinic(s) and then gauge interest in forming a league. Also, encourage play in your local elementary schools which is becoming more common in the GTA.
-JR-

Postby atanarjuat » Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:27 pm

Whether you sign kids up for a TUC programme, or whether you put on some clinics yourself, clinics for youngsters are generally great as long as they aren't excessively clinical. At that age, it's very productive for them just to keep touching the disc and playing just about anything with it -- it need not be geared to the 7v7 game. So you shouldn't feel that clinics are the only places they can learn & play.

If you have two girls who are interested, then I'd suggest starting small in the intuitive, mostly effortless way: get them to invite some friends and get them playing 3v3, 4v4, hotbox, keep-away, goaltimate, etc. whenever they feel like it. Sometimes, you can even eschew the rectangular field designs entirely and give them interesting geometries to play on.
atanarjuat

Postby nyxll » Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:29 pm

You are right, that this is very much what I am looking to mimic. I did see this but was waiting till I get home to ask my oldest if she is interested.

Would it be possible to volunteer/or observe?

Usually if there was some man watching my girls practice, I would be a little unnerved.

Do the coaches have a plan that they follow or is it off the cuff?
nyxll

Postby ultimusprime » Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:20 am

I know 4 girls in their early to mid 20's that's very athletic and into other sports like rugby & soccer- now willing to learn and play our sport, where can I send them to attend ultimate clinic?

Thanks.
ultimusprime

Postby -JR- » Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:59 am

I know 4 girls in their early to mid 20's that's very athletic and into other sports like rugby & soccer- now willing to learn and play our sport, where can I send them to attend ultimate clinic?
TUC will be hosting some clinics in the upcoming months, so stay tuned to the TUC website and LAYOUT e-newsletters. We were hoping to offer one in early January, but it will depend on venue availability. We'll definitely be doing a few in April. The Juniors Girls Clinic is for females from Grade 6-12.

Would it be possible to volunteer/or observe? Usually if there was some man watching my girls practice, I would be a little unnerved. Do the coaches have a plan that they follow or is it off the cuff?
Email juniors@tuc.org for further questions or to inquire about the clinic.
-JR-

Return to Clinics and Player Development