View topic - Rogers

Rogers

"Rant on your Soapbox" Revived!

Rogers

Postby GregS » Wed Feb 07, 2007 4:21 am

What is the deal with the Rogers cable on-screen guide not being able to distinguish between completely different movies that happen to have the same title? I just tuned in to watch Shooters: "A look at the original color footage of the D-Day operation" and instead it was this. Or maybe it was this. Hard to be sure. I'm pretty confident that it wasn't this.

Also, the PVR box thinks that "House" and "House (LTBX)" are different shows, so it doesn't bother to record it half the time. And the other problems it has that are so specific that I can't even describe them without (further) boring you to tears. Seriously, it's just simple programming. Hire yourself some 12 year olds and get it fixed. Or release it as open source and people will do it for you for free, and add cool features you never even thought of. How hard can this be?

And don't even get me started about the commercials for Crisco Christmas Hampers or the Joke of the Day.
Did you get that thing I sent you?
GregS
TUC Webmaster

Postby arun » Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:42 am

Or release it as open source and people will do it for you for free, and add cool features you never even thought of. How hard can this be?

Have you looked at open source PVRs? I had one for a while and it was wonderful.
arun

Postby tjweir » Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:20 am

if it makes you feel any better most "descriptions" my Bell PVR are "Series", ot "TV Series" and for English Premiership Soccer it's generally "Teams TBA."

PVRs from providers tend to suck. OSS PVRs as Arun mentioned are much better, with MythTV leading the way.
tjweir

Postby tommythecat » Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:23 am

When I lived down in the states, I had a cablevision box. Compared to cablevision, Rogers' on-screen guide is superb. Then again, cablevision also own the Knicks, so we can pretty much expect anything they do to be amazingly ineffective.
tommythecat

Return to Rant and Rave!