View topic - CUC 2007 Saturday Night Party

CUC 2007 Saturday Night Party

"Rant on your Soapbox" Revived!

CUC 2007 Saturday Night Party

Postby lennox » Tue Jul 31, 2007 1:05 pm

At the risk of opening a can of worms, getting a lot of hate mail, etc. (not like I've never done that in the past)... I figure I would make a post in here because it's a pretty slow section of the BBS. Ya Rant and Rave

So, from what I hear the guest entrance fee to the CUC saturday night party is $30, and it needs to be bought by TODAY (July 31). That price doesn't include any food. Of course I can't confirm the price because there is ZERO information on the CUC website about said fee. Is anyone else :shock: by this?

I hear that you also get 1 free beer with your entrance (maybe it's a Bubba sized beer). It's a nice locale, but by beer 4 (you can buy about 6 beers with $30 btw) you aren't going to care where you are.

Anyway, if this is the case, it's pretty sad that the organizers of the party deemed it reasonable to put a price on getting your sig-other into the party. Heck, if a team of 15 people brought only 5 significant others, you could start one heck of a party somewhere else for $150. I'm sure some other bar would love to have your $150.

What a way to shy all the Ontario teams away from the party :(

/just say'n, hope it doesn't happen
There is no finish line.
lennox

Postby Otto » Tue Jul 31, 2007 2:12 pm

My understanding was the $30 covered the Thursday BBQ at the field, bus transportation, the Sat. party, and entry to the Finals at Varsity.

It's for family/partners and coaches/support staff who are attending the tournament, but not playing.

Players are paying $50.

You may want to check with your captain.
Otto

Postby lennox » Tue Jul 31, 2007 2:36 pm

Finals are $5/person...? OK, so it's only $25.

Is there no "party only" option? What if you aren't taking the bus (ie., live in Toronto... like a vast number of players) or if you have to work during the week and can only make it to the Saturday festivities?

And, why can't I check the website for this information? Captains already have too much to do. My "captain" thinks it's extortion too. I'm sure this can all be cleared up with some clarification on pricing, etc. Hmm... maybe a "Fees" section on the CUC website?

/Who wants to hold a poker night? $25 buy in and Finals the next day. :wink:
There is no finish line.
lennox

Postby Blue » Tue Jul 31, 2007 4:19 pm

Otto is correct.

The guest pass covers the Thursday dinner, bus transportation, Saturday Party and Sunday finals.

I can guarentee it is worth the cost. The entire Nationals event is being run with a 'zero-profit' mentality, but given that players pay their way for dinners and busses, why should friends/family eat and ride and party for free? We charged what we needed to to cover the additional cost brought on by the additional bodies participating.

Additionally, it was intended as a means for coaches and support staff to attend the event, not so that teams could bring their 30 closest friends - this is intended for the teams after all. All team captains were notified via our team of liaisons a couple of weeks ago, with a reminder going out today. We need numbers by the end of today to finalize contracts with suppliers.

Finally, as you all know, booking a large scale venue needs to be done well in advance in Toronto (in some cases, years). The Palais is a landmark venue and highly sought after. The increase of 20 teams (to a total of 80) was done long after bookings had already been made and no other venue was available for a similar cost. As a result, we will be pushing to accomodate all the players. As much as we would have liked to invite all of TUC to our party... it isn't feasible.

Thanks for expressing your concerns... if you have any further questions... please don't hesitate to contact us directly. You can reach me at blue@canadianultimate.com
Blue

Postby beachbum » Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:37 pm

Awesome! I was planning on popping into the Saturday night social with a fairly large contingent of playing and non-playing old skool Ulty players from both in and out of town, bumping into old friends, making new ones, etc. along with enjoying finals day at Varsity.

But I'm with Lennox on this one (alert the media). I and my cohorts will now be handing our 30 bills over to a local establishment and reaping the immediate liquid benefits rather than wasting it on an extremely overpriced cover charge. I'll try my darndest to hold onto a fiver for the Varsity cover. I do not consider that one a waste.
beachbum

Postby rcoster » Thu Aug 02, 2007 1:40 pm

sounds like the cover charge has achieved its purpose Lumpy--this one's for the beautiful people capisci?
rcoster

Postby lennox » Thu Aug 02, 2007 2:31 pm

I think we have to read between the lines: There is enough space at the party for all tournament players, but not much more. So, to restrict the amount of extra non-players they made the guest passes cost prohibitive to disuade any extra bodies. I guess that's just how it goes... sucks for toronto guests, but it's a pretty good deal for out of towners who are using all of the benefits of the guest pass.
There is no finish line.
lennox

Postby beachbum » Thu Aug 02, 2007 4:43 pm

Si, sendi Robino, o capisco. Keep out the riff raff like you and me. Fair dinkum. 'Course, back in our day, we were more accommodating, more inclusive, less discriminating. And we all know that the "real" party will be at la Casa di Coster at the following address and phone number:

*** ***** Av.
To*o**o, ON
(416) 555-****

Due respect to the hard working folk with the tough job of running the show. Were it me, I'd offer up a quick mea culpa and be reactive on the fly, charge a minimal cover at the door, have some testsoterone case keeping an eye on numbers, etc.
beachbum

Return to Rant and Rave!