"Rant on your Soapbox" Revived!

never been so embarassed to be an Ultimate Player/Nat. Post

Postby waxman » Tue Oct 09, 2007 10:28 pm

For those yet to tune in, Ontario goes to the polls tomorrow
Time To Vote; The provincial campaign fails to grab attention

Mary Vallis
National Post

Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Ontario voters such as Pam Yiu admit they do not know as much about the election campaign as they should.

"The election? When is that again?"

The provincial election is tomorrow, but many voters are still not tuning in. As members of the Toronto Ultimate Club bandage their ankles and pull on their socks for an after-work game in Greenwood Park, most admit they have not been following the campaign.

"I'm glad I'm not the only one," said Pam Yiu, a 31-year-old office worker, as the players trade their election knowledge.

And some say they may not even bother to vote.

"If I was to walk into a poll right now, I wouldn't have the slightest idea," one woman says, pulling her hair into a ponytail.

"I just don't know enough about what's going on," another player admits.

"If you don't vote, then you can't complain about it," another young woman pipes up.

With busy careers or academic workloads, young children and hectic extracurricular schedules, members of the club -- generally between the ages of 18 and 36 -- say the election is still not top of mind. But as the sun sets and overhead lights illuminate the park for their game, the players confirm that the main themes of the race have reached them through media coverage and party advertisements.

Most are aware of John Tory's shift on the issue of funding for faith-based schools last Monday. But they are torn over what it will mean to their vote.

"I actually have no problem with him changing his mind," said Alyson Walker, 33, of Mr. Tory's "schtick with the religious stuff."

"Maybe it was the right thing. Maybe we need someone in power who does listen to people, so why is it bad?"

"What was he standing for, then?" asked Josee Guibord. "If the public didn't want it, fine. But if he's just fishing for votes ..."

A lawyer who volunteers her time with NGOs, says she will probably cast a ballot for the Liberals, because she wants to vote for party that is "likely to win."

Other members of the club are drawn to the underdogs. Sheri Madigan, a psychologist, says she began seriously contemplating a vote for the Greens. She heard about them on CBC radio while stuck in her car during a traffic jam.

"I was impressed by what they said," Ms. Madigan said. Voting Green had never crossed her mind before, she added.

"We always rule them out. I just think that maybe I need to be more educated on what they want to provide."

HERE ENDETH THE LESSON, PATHETIC.....

actually try this on for size:rephrase the questions, e.g.
would you vote for the guy that stole $900 out of your pocket, promised not to do it again, and oh yeah, he just had a $2.3B surplus that he raised with that money and is using it to fuel his reelection...
would you vote for the guy that voted himself a raise more than the average Ontarians salary?
would you vote for the guy who thinks that gang violence can be stopped by letting convicted gang members out on bail?
waxman

Postby AdamR » Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:11 am

meh... the only think interesting about this is it happens to involve TUC players, I bet you could replace these people with anybody else in any other sport and you would get the same result. It has nothing to do with Ultimate and everything to do with people being too lazy to look into their own government.
AdamR

Re: never been so embarassed to be an Ultimate Player/Nat. P

Postby GregS » Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:40 am

I wasn't going to say anything, but hey, it's the Rant and Rave forum!

waxman wrote:would you vote for the guy that stole $900 out of your pocket, promised not to do it again, and oh yeah, he just had a $2.3B surplus that he raised with that money and is using it to fuel his reelection...

No, I'd much rather vote for the party that put $250 in my pocket, paid for by stealing health care and education and public transit from those who need it, and selling the 407.
Did you get that thing I sent you?
GregS
TUC Webmaster

Postby Kev » Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:01 am

Agreed Greg.

If Tory (and the PC's) would have actually taken a stance on an issue (and stuck to it) I might have been more open-minded... but I don't want to take someone the High School prom just because they're the only person left. Vote for me because I'm the next best choice!! -not a strong campaign.

Ontario is making progress (more hospitals, nurses, family doctors, stronger environmental policies, more kids staying in schools, test scores are going up, class sizes are coming down).

It's taken longer than expected to clean up the mess left by the last Conservative government (imagine buying a home where you anticipate some repairs needing to be done, but upon moving in you realize that there is actually $2 billion MORE in repairs that the previous home-owners hid from you - which is cause for some of the things the Liberal party said they were going to do last election to not meet deadlines. However my belief is the province is on the right track and another term will only lead to more progress.

I'm not normally one to 'rant & rave' about my political belief, but if I can have 1 day a year, today is it.

As for that article - brutal!! As much as it's the responsibility of everyone to make themselves aware of the issues, I'm sure the article was being written with a certain motive in mind and the questions geared towards that message. I know both Sheri & Alyson and they are very intelligent individuals. We should have asked this reporter to play a game and then publish an article on the BBS saying that all media types are awkward, un-athletic chunderheads.

*This message was NOT paid for by the Liberal government
Kev

Postby ashunter » Wed Oct 10, 2007 1:49 pm

After getting hit in the head on both playoff weekends, I'm just happy to see Pam Yiu is out playing ultimate again. I'll cut her a bit of slack if she isn't sure what day it is.

I was way more upset that there was pickup this weekend, and I missed it than people giving non-commital on-the-spot responses about what turned out to be a very boring election campaign.
ashunter
TUC Board of Directors

Postby HotSauce » Wed Oct 10, 2007 2:53 pm

Isn't anyone going to mention the FPP vs MMP part of today's vote? That should be the really HOT topic.
HotSauce

Postby beachbum » Wed Oct 10, 2007 3:31 pm

You want pathetic? Try piss-poor journalism. That the women interviewed were Ultimate players was not even remotely germaine to the subject at hand: young, extremely busy, urban professionals who happen to use part of their off-work hours to play a sport rather than burying themselves in an election which is, for all intents and purposes, a forgeone conclusion.

Mary Vallis apparently interviewed only women but we as readers don't infer that all women are apathetic. Rather, it's easier to piggy-back on the stigma that public perception associates with Ultimate players: aimless and apathetic granola-eating potheads who don't know shite from shinola, never mind being able to differntiate between political candidates. How brave and novel of her. And she mentions TUC specifically rather than Ultimate players in general. That's a class act right there.

I'm also wary of the motiviations behind this one-post hit-and-run 'waxman' character. Trolling mission accomplished, I guess. Given the ending of the post, seems there was a bit of an anti-Liberal agenda. How's that for an inference? Desperate times call for cheap and desperate measures, or so it would seem.

For the record, neither party is getting my vote. I'm with Sheri Madigan on this one, have been for more years than I care to count. Go Greens Go, eh!
beachbum

Postby GregS » Wed Oct 10, 2007 4:08 pm

lwcole wrote:Given the ending of the post, seems there was a bit of an anti-Liberal agenda.

A "bit" of anti-Liberal agenda? Yes, and Lake Ontario is "damp".
Did you get that thing I sent you?
GregS
TUC Webmaster

Postby march » Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:20 am

lwcole wrote:I'm also wary of the motiviations behind this one-post hit-and-run 'waxman' character.

do you think "waxman" is related to "observer"?
march

Postby joguib » Fri Oct 12, 2007 3:53 pm

:evil: Come on!! If any of you out there know any of us quoted (or rather MISQUOTED!!) who were part of this article, you know that we are each and every one of us a little bit more sophisticated than that! This gal came out (we were told by TUC that she would be there and that we should just try to help out and be nice) to ask us a few questions. VERY informal, we were putting on our cleats and chit chatting about the elections as she was asking a couple of questions. Most of us had not made up our minds yet (this was a week ago) on who we were going to vote for and we were just saying a lot of the things being said here - i.e. the campaign has been boring, too much focus on one issue, then to much focus on PC's change of heart, and looking at other options, like the greens. No one said who they were going to vote for. We were discussing last night how frustrating it was that we were all misquoted and that all those references were out of context. Some of us thought about not giving our names (because we were all worried about this exact result) but we did anyway because she was really keen on putting our names down. Twice now I have been through this kind of thing. I know it's just the way it is these days, journalists can twist and turn anything you say - in any event, I'm done.
joguib

Return to Rant and Rave!