View topic - Where are all the women?

Where are all the women?

Post all your league discussions here.

Where are all the women?

Postby larrypmac » Mon May 14, 2018 4:02 pm

So many teams looking to add ladies to their roster this summer. Hat teams have guys, looking for women.

I'm all for gender equality and I much prefer playing co-ed leagues than open... but it's going to be a tough summer when I have five girls and nine guys, and the girls are known for missing more games than the guys, too. :cry:

Accepting female volunteers for Tuesday Intermediate West if anyone wants to help out! :D :shock:
larrypmac

Re: Where are all the women?

Postby keith1 » Sat May 19, 2018 3:26 pm

Agreed .. something needs to happen.

I've captained teams since 2002, and year by year it's more difficult to field enough women. I reached out for plenty of help (league, coaches, volunteers) "please send any women looking to play an extra night" - even offered to cover their fees - the feedback was always the same - "we're short women too".

By the time we replaced a couple players - it was May, and we lost our spot - the div wasn't full. So sad, because half our team is under 20, the new generation, and we don't have a team for them.

Not sure what the solution is but more dialogue can only be helpful.

Cheers!
keith1

Re: Where are all the women?

Postby supermita » Mon May 21, 2018 10:54 am

Honestly, as a female I can tell you that the mansplaining and condescension from some male players is a turnoff. I remember running into a former female teammate on a hat team, recalling how "douchey" some guys were to us; also not throwing to us or letting girls pick up the disc. The women's clinics help, but I think a lot of women get turned off and bail.

- Mita
supermita

Return to Talk TUC League