• 2007 Summer Team Registration Closes
• TUC Membership 2007 - 2008
• 2007 Winter League Update
• Ultimate Long Weekend
• Upcoming Clinics
• Volunteers Needed for Nationals
2007 SUMMER TEAM REGISTRATION CLOSES APRIL 24
TUC Summer Team Registration is now open and will close on Tuesday, April 24. Team fees for Summer League will be $750 per team. Individual registration is also open for those who wish to sign up for a hat team. We are working on some great new improvements to our Summer League this year, including:
How to Register
- More games at Sunnybrook Park
- Games at the new downtown Varsity Stadium
- Games at the new Birchmount Stadium
- New tournament in June that will host TUC teams
- Increased emphasis on Spirit and your enjoyment of the game
- New pyramid structure for Tuesday League (and possibly Thursday, TBD)
- Champions League-style event at the end of summer season (sponsored by Scallywags) which will pit the best teams/players from each weeknight league against one another
Visit www.tuc.org for information on how to register. We are implementing a new system this year so you’ll want to get started by reading the “How to Register – Membership & Summer League” article on the home page. Our fee structure remains the same; you must first register as a TUC member and then register for League.
TUC Membership 2007-2008
Your 2007 TUC membership is valid from April 1, 2007 to March 31, 2008. This annual fee is used to cover the Club costs of two professional full-time staff, as well as membership packages and insurance coverage. A portion of your membership ($25) is also allocated to our ‘Future Fields Fund’ which is used to develop existing TUC fields and/or acquire new ones. Your TUC Membership privileges include:
- Free membership package including a new one-of-a-kind Spirit of the Game disc, a Rule book, and other goodies;
- Free TUC events – skills & theory clinics, new & improved parties, hat tournaments, Mid season tournament, Playoffs tournaments;
- Free LAYOUT– the TUC e-newsletter delivering important updates and latest news directly to your inbox;
- Free Pie Plate – year end souvenir magazine;
- Partner Discounts on discs, apparel, sports medical products, and TEAM MEALS;
- Accidental liability coverage for all TUC members;
- Annual General Meeting – an opportunity to attend and vote;
- Volunteer Programmes – opportunity to teach youth, promote Spirit, and help the Club at events or on committees – earning you FREE GEAR at the TUC Shop;
- TUC Shop – get your Ultimate gear at our head office located at 1185 Eglinton Ave. East, Suite 703, North York.
- *New in 2007* - free membership to the Ontario Disc Sports Association, allowing you to receive the ODSA newsletter and take advantage of their partner discounts
- Dedicated TUC Staff – we are here for you!
Don’t delay, or you’ll miss out! This is going to be the best TUC season yet, with even more exciting and organized events as well as an increased emphasis on SPIRIT in 2007. Not to mention, we’re gearing up for the National Championships in August!
Be sure to spread the word to your friends and co-workers about the TUC summer season! Here is a poster that you can post on your office bulletin board or email to your friends.
Winter Indoor League Champions 2007
Congratulations to all Winter League players, captains, and convenors on another exceptional indoor Winter League season. We hosted a record number of indoor games at 3 locations (Varsity Centre, Metro Sports Centre, and the Downsview Hangar), and produced some great spirited Ultimate and exciting championship games.
In the Monday Premier Co-ed League, upstarts ‘Jimi Thing’ and ‘Redi’ met in the finals, where Jimi Thing prevailed and won the title. The Monday League experiment at Varsity proved to be a very skilled and successful venture – thank you to all teams for your patience with the initial hurdles and thank you to our convenor Rahil Suleman for all of his hard work! We look forward to doing it again next year.
The Tuesday Men’s League Final featured the top two teams from the regular season – ‘Furriest Yorgos’ and ‘SpiderMonkey’. Although both had established themselves as league frontrunners, it was the Furriest Yorgos who came out firing in the finals and who won the title. For a picture of the champs click here. A big thanks to convenor Mike Pezzack who ran an outstanding Men’s League for us!
Thursday’s Draft Co-Ed League once again created a strong balance of competitive teams. In the Tier 1 Division, ‘Dingo’ ran an undefeated winning streak into the finals, but could not complete the sweep against a determined ‘Lionel’s Puppy Farm’. Tied at 32-32 with 7 seconds remaining, the underdog LPF pulled off an improbable point at the buzzer and won the Tier 1 Finals.
As for the Thursday Tier 2 final, the second seed ‘Chilli Dogs’ fought hard, but could not provide another upset victory over ‘Lucky Dogs’. Lucky Dogs avenged their only loss of the season (a 29-28 Round 1 defeat to Chilli Dogs) and rode a 13-game win streak to the championship.
Thank you to James McCully and Mike Pezzack for another great team selection, league, and playoffs! We will post all champion pictures in the near future on the home page.
The TUC Team
|Ultimate Long Weekend
May 18 - 21, 2007
This is the ULTIMATE warm-up (AND PARTY!) for your TUC team. From May 18-21, Ultimate Long Weekend (ULW) will be held at Olympia Sports Camp in Huntsville. It’s an adult co-ed tournament that is open to TUC teams, mixed touring teams, and other teams from across the nation…. that’s right, from across the nation…. we have a team from Newfoundland attending!!!!
Don't have a team but want to play? No problem, we will be able to accommodate those in need. Just go to the website, register and we'll take care of the rest.
Looking to improve your skills and knowledge for the upcoming Ultimate season? The clinics will include instruction from expert touring players and each will have a particular focus that will aid you in your development. Here are our upcoming clinics:
Thursday, April 19th, 7-9pm Downsview Hangar, Field #3:
Beginner clinic, concentrating on throwing/catching, with some additional work on general game play (stacking, defending, who cuts, etc.)
Tuesday, May 1, 6-8pm, at METRO SPORTS CENTRE, Field B (the first field when you walk into the venue):
Beginner/Intermediate clinic, concentrating on cutting/defending, with some additional work on more advanced game play (alternative stacks, zone defense/offense, etc.)
Saturday, May 5th, 12pm-2pm (Outdoor Central Location, TBD):
A beginner/intermediate clinic, to follow the above clinics, which will concentrate on team play (alternative stacks, zone defense/offense, offensive playbooks, etc.)
|August 9th to 12th 2007 @ Sunnybrook Park
|We need a volunteer army to help make this year’s Canadian Nationals the best ever. Volunteer for a couple hours or a couple days – any amount of time would be appreciated!
Come out and see the best Ultimate in the world, help your fellow players and get some time in the sun!
Contact Ted Mercer at email@example.com for details.
WE NEED VOLUNTEERS
Stump the Rulemaster!
Do you have a rule that needs clarifying? Think you know more than the Rule Master?
Email your question to firstname.lastname@example.org to try and stump our RULEMASTER.
Also coming soon,
Strategy Tips of the Month!
Always wanted to know how to defend against a zone? Run a ho-stack on 'O'?
Well email your strategy question to email@example.com and Mr. Ultimate will answer a different strategy question every Layout issue.
At The TUC Shop you will be able to purchase Toronto Ultimate Club branded merchandise along with other relevant flying disc items including clothing, discs, cones, DVDs, videos, books and more.
Visit the TUC Shop either online or in person at 1185 Eglinton Ave. East, Suite 703.