View topic - Playoffs - Look for the Gold Balloons!

Playoffs - Look for the Gold Balloons!

Post all your general ultimate postings here.

Playoffs - Look for the Gold Balloons!

Postby Kev » Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:31 pm

Hello All;
A colleague of mine (who has a daughter currently fighting acute lymphoblastic leukemia) told me about the "Light the Night" walk on October 3rd in downtown Toronto. In addition to supporting my colleague and her family, I've decided to participate in the event with her team in memory of Rob Camp - who is my incredible friend who lost his battle to Cancer a few months ago.

It's a pretty amazing event - with Cancer supporters carrying red balloons, survivors carrying white balloons, and individuals walking in memory of loved ones carry 'gold' balloons.

At TUC playoffs this weekend (Sunday), I'll be attaching several gold balloons to my gym bag as 1) a way for individuals who wish to offer their support to easily find me amidst the hundreds of ultimate players, but also 2) a symbol that Rob (undoubtedly) will be keeping his eye on the games as they unfold (we all know how much he loved this time of year).

Claudine (Rob's wife) is planning on joining me on this walk, and of course we are both greatly appreciative if you want to get involved (whether walking with us, or through some form of donation).

So either come find me on the fields this Sunday, or visit the link below to help support this initiative.
http://my.e2rm.com/personalPage.aspx?re ... Pref=en-CA

Here's a cool video that gives you perspective on this event...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4g-XsCT ... r_embedded

Thanks as always - and good luck to all at Playoffs this weekend.
Last edited by Kev on Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kev

Postby Mottzky » Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:14 pm

Hey Kev,

The first link isn't working...
Mottzky

Postby Kev » Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:38 pm

Thanks.. I fixed it below, but here's (hopefully) a working link.

http://my.e2rm.com/personalPage.aspx?re ... Pref=en-CA

-Kevin
Kev

Playoff predictions

Postby Shamus » Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:56 pm

I think you should also keep the memory alive Kevin by doing PO predictions this year. Come on!
Shamus

Postby Kev » Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:32 pm

Only if you make a donation....

Which gives me an idea... if I reach 50% of my goal (so $250) by midnight tonight, I'll write a full-fledged Playoff Prediction post that would make RC proud.

It will include the following....
1. Jokes about teams with bad Ultimate team names
2. Two (2) mandatory jokes about Hot Cousin having a 'punchers' chance
3. Commentary about Aerosol Headcheese moving to Thursday nights because of 'cheap beer' night at Sneaky Dees

as well as other 'fun' stuff...
Kev

Postby ronj » Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:57 pm

Done, and I hope more people follow suit. I look forward to reading some serious slags!!

cheers,
Ron
ronj

Postby lwswong » Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:08 pm

ronj wrote:Done, and I hope more people follow suit. I look forward to reading some serious slags!!

cheers,
Ron

+1
lwswong

Postby Kev » Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:40 pm

Thanks all... we're 50% of the way there!! (appreciate all the support from each of you)
Kev

Postby *JEANS* » Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:40 pm

done. great idea kev. i planned on supporting your team regardless but upped the donation just for the predictions/slags!! :D
*JEANS*

Postby spunky_jp » Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:06 am

First off, THANK YOU to everyone who has supported my ‘balloon’ idea….
Incredible to see the support from both friends in the Ultimate community, as well as those who I have never met (but assumed I have played against) but are inspired by this passion. Please keep the pledges coming (see below for link).

Anyways, it’s with some ‘hesitation’ that I write this review as Camper truly was the master at balancing both his ultimate IQ with a sense of humour (about teams, team names, players, etc) that somehow could not offend even the most sensitive individual. So please don't be offended... it's late!!

And with that being said… here we go.

*NOTE: this took me about 4hrs to write. Makes what Rob did each year even that much more remarkable (and I’ll admit… kinda mailed it in towards the end of this summary – if you couldn’t tell!!)

WEDNESDAY NIGHT

#1 seed – Redi
Ranked the best TUC League team of all-time by both Shane Creamer and everyone who currently plays on Redi, this perennial favourite skipped their way through the 2012 season with 10 wins. There’s always talk of an undefeated season (mostly from the Redi sidelines), however, that talk ended early in the season with ‘The’ Redi losing to Sweet in week #6. However, the club did set a new record in 2012 with the most ‘Please don’t drink on the fields’ warnings, as well as the ‘worst jersey in sports’ award with their controversial selection of new ‘grey’ uniforms. Hey, I guess if you’re spending all your money on PBR you can only afford one jersey – so you need it to be considered both a light and a dark. Seriously though, with John Hassel and Aly Walking making ‘EPL to MLS’ like moves this season (making the jump from ‘playing for your country’ to ‘playing for SteamWhistle’), you have to consider Redi to be the #1 seed.
ODDS: 3 to 1 (with John & Aly), 5 to 1 (without the two All-Canadians)

#2 seed – Sweet
Winning two Championships in its short five year history, Sweet comes into the weekend after one of their most successful regular seasons in its young career. While maybe not being taken as seriously by their opponents (largely due to their decision to rock cotton jerseys in 2012), Sweet managed to win the season series against Redi this season (2-1) and was on the better end of three 1pt victories. By not having a Russian translator on the payroll, the team will be without their #1 guy for Sunday – but, their depth and experience always seems to shine when the chips are down. Their quarter-final game is a re-match of the 2010 final – which if not for the Redi vs. Hot Cousin quarter, it would be the ‘must-see’ match in the first round.
ODDS: 7 to 1

#3 seed – Prego = Union = Big Hammers = nobody likes you (relax – it’s a ‘The Wedding Singerâ€￾ movie reference)
My vote for the most dominant team this season, at times the Prego squad looked like a well-oiled touring machine (wait a minute…..) with lopsided wins over #2 Sweet (17-6) and #4 COOL (17-4). Also a 10 win team this season, Prego seemed to tire down the stretch (ending their season with the always popular ‘default’ against YARRRRRRRRR), however, their history of going deep in big tournaments will undoubtedly serve them well in this marathon 1 day format. With Prego losing many of their ‘Capital’ ladies to sectionals this weekend, the team is not going to be as dominant as they showed in 2012 and may struggle to incorporate any new players. However, what should be an ‘easier’ first round game may just be the warm-up this team needs before the ‘game-to-go’ in the second round.
ODDS: 4 to 1

#4 seed – COOL
An impressive 4th place finish for this un-flashy squad, COOL had some ‘head-scratching’ results in 2012 with losses to YARRRRRR, and Komodo, however, two 1pt victories over the always tough Hot Cousin. Champions in their own right (nobody rocks the hibachi like COOL), the Yellow fellows have solid handling in the back end (yes Andy.. I’m talking about your back end), and a good mix of spirited players that aren’t too far from actually enjoying playing Ultimate on the weekend. The team has been hurt this year with key injuries, however, that only means there will be fewer flare-ups on the hibachi, and better heckles from the sidelines. Interesting match-up vs. Fo’Realzies in the quarters… their mistake-free style may just be the winning recipe to make it to Round #2.
ODDS: 10 to 1 (if Shane wasn’t injured 15-1)

#5 seed – Fo’Realzies
With Prego being disqualified from the ‘Rookie Team of the Year’ (as they’re just a modified version of the previous Big Hammers/Union franchise), big props go out to GM of the Year Mike Good (aka ‘Jeans’) for putting together this dynamic squad of young and athletic guys and gals – who will undoubtedly inherit MANY of the positive attributes shown to them by their on-field general Greg Lang (dear God – that’s scary). This team has the legs to run with the best Wednesday night has to offer… however, it’s too early for these young Jedi’s who have shown the inability to close out big games this season (going 0-4-1 against teams in the top 4). This team has benefited from a somewhat easy schedule (almost 50% of their games were against teams outside the top 8),but I got a feeling these guys are itching to prove something and look forward to seeing them turn some heads on Sunday.
ODDS: 10 to 1

#6 seed – YARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
The surprise of the season, these nice guys made some noise by driving in each week from the Durham Region to give the Wednesday teams a tough battle. Fully expecting these guys to show up with eye-patches and hoop earrings in my one and only encounter with YARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR, their non-flashy style and refreshing “let’s take these games seriouslyâ€￾ attitude makes up for their lack of top-tier Open/Women’s players. Some may say YARRRRR ‘slid’ into the #6 seed with their default win over Prego in the last week of the season (much like Iceman thought Maverick and Goose slid into Cougar’s spot in Top Gun), but you have to be good to be lucky and they’ll have their chance to prove their worth with a quick re-match against Prego in Round 1.
ODDS: 20 to 1

#7 seed – Banana Cream Pie

As mentioned earlier, BCP’s first round match will be a repeat of the 2010 final – in which the Pie lost to Sweet in their one and only trip to the finals (isn’t this caught on video somewhere). In my opinion, an incredibly underrated team as they have athleticism, height, speed…and some guy named McArton. In earlier match-ups, they showed their ability to play lazy, poachy defense, and take advantage of the many mismatches they can create with Sweet utilizing their variety of unique players. The 20xGender Blender champions are positioned well to pull off the biggest upset of the tournament, as I’m picking them to upset Sweet in the Quarters. That is… unless John McArton shows up and is allowed to touch the disc.
ODDS: 15 to 1

#8 seed – Hot Cousin

What happened!?!?!?!?
The HC narrowly avoided a demotion to the bottom 8 after being on the wrong side of numerous one-point games this season. However, these veterans aren’t going to go down without a FIGHT, and promise to give Redi two FISTS full of intensity in their quarter-final match-up. The veterans can’t be counted out, as their list of top-tier talent will always give them a PUNCHER’S chance…and if Redi isn’t careful, these SLUGGERS will send the #1 seed home in their new grey jerseys. Great individual ‘guy’ match-ups like Parker vs Weingust, Dime vs List, Hassel vs Simo, etc are sure to attract whatever spectators are mingling around, however, it’s Redi’s strength with the ladies that may separate these two clubs when the dust settles and the final bell rings
ODDS: 9 to 1

QUARTERS
Redi over Hot Cousin 13-11
BCP upsets Sweet 13-9
Prego over Yarrrr 13-7
Fo’Realzies over COOL 13-10

SEMIS

Redi over Fo’Realzies 13-11
Prego over BCP 13-6

FINALS

Prego over Redi 13-11

Other Wednesday Teams
The Wednesday division has gotten incredibly stronger this year with the emergence of several new young teams. You have to look no further than teams like Rump Roast and Komodo (who in past year’s would have qualified in the top 8 ) were left on the outside looking in. Unfortunately, I’m not able to give full team reviews of these clubs as we didn’t get to see many of them this season – however, it should be noted that Rump Roast and Komodo had a season full of strong games (personally giving Sweet two tough games this year) and if they’re able to keep their teams together, they’ll force the older teams to watch their backs.

Monday Competitive

(purely based on looking at the standings for 20mins)

*Note: in reviewing the Monday night league, I was amazed at how SWEET the fields were for these teams. One team’s schedule had: 6 games at Sunnybrook, 3 games at Lamport, 2 games at Eglinton Flats Field Hockey/Putting Green, 1 game at Varsity, 1 game at Fergie Brown Cricket Pitch and Cedarvale (which they didn’t show up for – spoiled brats!!).

#1 seed – Yoink
An impressive roster, Yoink is a young team that won the season-series with Krast Kart 2-1. Lots of Goats and Capitals on this roster… someone should tell these kids that the real teams play on Wednesday (or are we due for a return to the infamous ‘Monday vs Wednesday’ match-up? If these guys don’t match up with with Krash Kart in the finals – I’d be extremely disappointed.
ODDS: 2 to 1

#2 seed – Krash Kart
Having subbed with this club in 2012, I’ve seen what these guys are capable of when they have all their guns on the line. Known to rock the ‘line tape’ from time to time, these guys are first hand examples that nice guys don’t have to finish last. Some solid leadership from guys who have played in some big games, and some young gals looking to make a name for themselves in the Toronto Ultimate scene, if Krash Kart can limit their turnovers and play some hard-nosed defence… they should be able to give Yoink a run to the finals.

#3 seed (not entered into playoffs) – Allth Darth
Who says you can’t get the band back together. I’ll admit, when I first heard of this collaboration of players, I was extremely intrigued for it’s potential. I mean, who doesn’t want to watch the old ‘List & Lang’ combo back together again (ah, the memories) as well as old familiars Deb Ragogna, BC and Brooksie lace them up against some of the young guns of ultimate. My only question is when these guys played Yoink & Krash Kart this season, did they play by the more familiar 7th edition of UPA rules? Real disappointing not to see these guys at playoffs cause I think this could have been some fun ultimate – for both young and old.
ODDS (if they were playing): 4 to 1

FINALS

Yoink over Krash Kart 13-8

Tuesday Competitive

#1 seed – Quick & Dirty
Don’t know if their quick, or dirty… but they’ve managed to finish up top of a division that boasts a couple of strong clubs in The Hive and Zen. Hopefully their playoff run won’t be quick or dirty (ok that’s awful…but it’s getting late!!)

#2 seed – The Hive
I’m a sucker for these guys (how many nights of Frisbee does Grey Lang play!?!?!?!?!). They’ve shown they can win it from start to finish in years past, and without knowing who will be in attendance to repeat at Tuesday champs… something tells me there will be some SteamWhistle on their sidelines by the end of the day.
ODDS: 2.5 to 1 (classic Camper odds!!)

#3 seed – Zen
Would love to see these guys end what is a very tough touring season by drinking some beer out of a trophy, but I got a feeling the hill will be too high to climb against the experienced ‘Hive’ squad.
ODDS: 5 to 1

FINALS
The Hive over Quick & Dirty 13-10

Over & Out,
Kevin (Oops...sent this from Jess' account)
spunky_jp

Postby Brooksie » Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:43 am

Hey Kev (or should I say Jess lookoing at the user name),

Great review and I want to personally thank you for keeping the spirit of Rob alive. But you have mistaken about the Monday teams as Yoink actually didn't enter the playoffs and Allth Darth did. Does that change your predictions at all?

Anyways, great job and can't wait to see the banter that may arise from this. :)

Good luck in the playoffs

Ian
Brooksie

Postby lwswong » Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:52 am

Agree this was totally awesome.

Also - was the lack of Thursday Comp post a sutble homage to prior Happy Camper digs about Thursday ultimate?

Don't you play in Thursday comp?

Is a predictions post without a Spidermonkey slag really a post at all?

Finally, you promised comments about the Headcheese move, so i consider your post incomplete, regardless. :P

(Keep the donations coming people!)
lwswong

Postby Kev » Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:21 am

Really Brooks? I was actually impressed that I actually checked the playoff entries for Monday with Allth Darth - my mistake.. have to move them into the #1 spot now with a similar 13-8 victory over Krash-Kart (I literally just pulled that from 'you know where').

As for the Thursday exclusion... honestly, it was more a factor of time - as again, this took me about 3-4hrs to write last night (huge credit to Rob for doing this year after year!!)

I'll see if I can whip something up for Thursday... I started to write something down last night but then realized not all teams were playing, and that I had a heavy personal bias, etc, etc.... anyways, I'll get something down shortly.
Kev

Postby Kev » Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:59 am

Thursday Competitive
The Thursday Competitive division this year certainly stepped up it's game with impressive parity across the 8 team division (look no further than last year's Champion gOLDfish finishing LAST in the division - way to put the OLD in gOLDfish guys!!). That being said, playoffs have proven year after year that it's not how you start - it's how you finish, and don't count out the Fish when Sunday morning's play kicks off.

#1 seed - East Side
Since coming over from the 'East Side' literally (this team started in the 'East Division'), the team has looked impressive with a strong number of former touring players standing on the line. Age (and drunkenness) might be this team's weakness as they may still be feeling the effects of their double-header last night (those old bones take a while to recover!!). However, the team does get a 1st round bye, and there is enough experience there to make a run at the Thursday title. Could this possibly be the new 'team to beat' on Thursdays.

#2 seed - Ultimate Warriors
Some up & down results this year, Ultimate Warriors have a rather boring looking roster on paper, however, have played some of the big teams tough this year - coming out on top in a majority of the contests. Oh wait a minute - Greg Lang plays on this team too?!?! I thought I saw him, Bartolo Colon and Melky Cabrera hanging out a few months ago!! This team is either going to be a contender, or a pretender... I'm voting for pretender. (sorry guys). UW loses in the semis.
ODDS: 7 to 1

#3 seed - Aerosol Headcheese
First off... I really like these guys (it's too bad we're going to have to beat them in the first round on Sunday morning), but you have to admire a team who realized they were so overmatched in the Wednesday night division that they packed up their portable bbq, their President's Choice beer, and took their show on the road to Thursday night. Despite playing like a white trash in an earlier match-up this season, the Cheese showed me something a few weeks ago on a miniature 5's field as they dismantled the gOLDfish in precision like fashion (which is saying something for these guys). With that being said, if the forefathers of Roy/GT ultimate show up like they can play (and hold off drinking until 10am), they should be able to dispose of the Fish and take down the Warriors for a run in the finals. Enjoy being on the other side of the heckling this year Cheese!!! Good Luck in the Finals.
ODDS: 5.5 to 1 (the same % as the beer they'll be drinking for breakfast).

#4 seed - Panic with the Disc YoManaged to avoid this team all season (how do you play in an 8 team division across 15 weeks and not play one of the teams in your division?), but this team appears to be Paul Chambers and a bunch of guys I've never heard off. Looking forward to the Chambers on Lang semi-final (circa 2004). Not sure if the dynamic Chambers has enough thread on the tires to take his club to the finals - I say no. Lose to East-Side in Semi's.
ODDS: 10 to 1

#5 seed - SpiderMonkey
MUST - BITE - TOUNGUE.....
Avoiding the always entertaining match against the gOLDfish, the Monkey have managed to put together some nice wins this season, while losing to the top seeds on a consistent basis. Something tells me Captain McCully (a good Stratford boy!!) has something up his sleeve this Sunday for his old teammates (cough...Viagara...cough), but are always dangerous to their opponents and themselves (darn it... I couldn't resist).. I think they can take down PWTD in the first round.... but it's not going to be pretty.
ODDS: 12 to 1

#6 seed - gOLDfish
Oh fishies...what can I say. It's been a tough season for the returning champions as the team has had to deal with several issues including injuries, game locations, a lack of baby-sitters in the city, and Rich's new hobbie of long-board skating (mid-life crisis!!). The team has a solid group of players who we've seen can win at any level, but for some reason they just haven't been able to put it together this season. I truly think they can run with any team in this division, however, the first round match-up against the Cheese at 8:30am Sunday morning doesn't benefit the old & slow (especially after the beatdown Cheese put on the former champs a few weeks ago). Of all the first round games, this one should be the most entertaining...and the number of players that are going to be cleated and ready to go at the 8:30am horn is sure to be UNDER 10.5. Come on Fishies... let's win one for the senior citizens out there!!
ODDS: 9 to 1[/b]
Kev

Postby Wartank » Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:27 am

Bravo, Kev!!!!! You did Camper proud..
"I do not like swimming. It is too much like . . . bathing." - Worf
Wartank

Postby Big Country » Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:57 am

Great Job Kev!!!! Definitely did Camper proud! You are going to have to keep the tradition alive for here on out.

On a side note, am I the only one who is worried that there is a high probability that too much rain will come down in the next 24 hours or so that the whole weekend may get washed out if Sunnybrook is closed.
Big Country

Postby GwaiLo » Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:26 pm

Big Country wrote:....

On a side note, am I the only one who is worried that there is a high probability that too much rain will come down in the next 24 hours or so that the whole weekend may get washed out if Sunnybrook is closed.

Yup...I've been wondering about this too. Looks like they're calling for a LOT of rain. I also wouldn't be surprised if Sunnybrook shut things down. Hopefully TUC is able to get info from them today and let the Captains know with as much notice as possible.

calling for:
1mm this afternoon
2-4mm this evening
5-10mm overnight
35-45mm tomorrow AM
2-4mm tomorrow afternoon

Also - great job with the predictions Kev. Good to see this tradition continuing in Camper's honour.
GwaiLo

Postby ronj » Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:38 pm

Jinx.
ronj

Postby GwaiLo » Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:44 pm

ronj wrote:Jinx.

meh...I heard you guys aren't playing anyway. :p
GwaiLo

Postby Mottzky » Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:49 pm

Echoed - great job, Kev. Always fun to read the predictions.

-- one of Paul Chambers minions
Mottzky

Postby GwaiLo » Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:20 pm

http://www.tuc.org/News/2012/9/6/2012playoffs-schedule/

"Weather Update, Friday 1pm: We're getting lots of emails and phone calls regarding the forecast this weekend. Unless posted otherwise on this article, ALL GAMES ARE ON this weekend rain or shine. Prepare accordingly! We are in regular communications with Sunnybrook Parks staff. If anything changes we will post online and notify your captains.... but plan on being there!"
GwaiLo

Postby Shamus » Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:26 pm

Well done Kevin - Camper would be proud. A donation from me you will have!
Shamus

Postby BJ » Fri Sep 07, 2012 4:49 pm

definitely a great job Kev...well done. Camper would be proud.

However, how could you write this:

"nobody rocks the hibachi like COOL"?

I threw up in my mouth when i read that. What did i throw up in my mouth you undoubtedly ask? Only delicious apricot and coriander marinated pork sandwiches, grilled to perfection...ON OUR HIBACHI...friggin COOL with their schlitz beers and skirts.

For the record, the cheese moved to thursdays because...well....you nailed it. we are old and impregnated. I was against the move at first, but it was a great season...thursdays is nice.

Also, great attempt at stroking the ego of your first opponent. we love you too Vigar!

Looking forward to it y'all!
BJ

Postby Big Country » Fri Sep 07, 2012 4:50 pm

By the way Kevin. Thank you for giving two of my teams the Jinx!!
Big Country

Postby Kev » Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:07 pm

BJ - I can only defend my statements by saying "I've never tasted those Apricot and Coriander marinated pork sandwiches".... ever heard of bribing the judges?!?!?! Where as... I have tasted one or two Schlitz in my day.

And BC.. lots of contenders out there for multiple championships (or as I like to call it the "Cass Lennox/Kevin Vigar Three-Peat" award (representing three Summer championships in one season). Had to try every trick in the book to stay in the record books!!
Kev

Postby Big Country » Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:59 pm

Hey this SHooter here

John Hassell that kid is washed up. He doesnt even have cleats. He left them in Japan.

Dime is the guy you need to look out for. Word on the street is he was practising last night.

Bahhh
Big Country

Postby Kev » Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:16 pm

Hey All... sorry for the belated note, but wanted to thank EVERYONE for their support & donations for my 'balloon-playoff-nightwalk' thingie!!!! I didn't really know what to set as my 'goal', but with the support of everyone we've raised $840.79!!!!!

You can still donate if you like... (the walk is next Wednesday).... and you'll be happy to know the balloons were donated to Mike Good's kids at the end of the tournament!!

Donate: http://my.e2rm.com/personalPage.aspx?re ... Pref=en-CA
Kev

Return to Anything Ultimate!