View topic - Annotations

Annotations

Announcements, complaints and other discussion about all aspects of our website.

Annotations

Postby GregS » Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:14 pm

I've just added the ability to add private notes on other players. Anything you add is visible only to you. You might use this to track who owes you team fees, make strategic notes about their strengths and weaknesses for next time you play them, note their availability for teams you're putting together, or whatever else you think is appropriate.

Notes are visible on the "view player" page, and can be added through that page, player search, or the player pop-ups.

Coming soon will be similar capabilities for teams, then games and finally fields. Players were done first, because they were easiest. :D

Let me know if you have any questions.
Did you get that thing I sent you?
GregS
TUC Webmaster

Re: Annotations

Postby lwswong » Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:10 pm

GregS wrote:Notes are visible on the "view player" page, and can be added through that page, player search, or the player pop-ups.

Nice add!

Might be useful to have this information pop up in the player pop-up's as well. I can see this being useful when scanning a team for information (eg. who owes me money) without having to go into each individual player page.
lwswong

Postby GregS » Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:17 pm

lwswong wrote:Might be useful to have this information pop up in the player pop-up's as well. I can see this being useful when scanning a team for information (eg. who owes me money) without having to go into each individual player page.

I thought about that, but you can put in really long notes if you want, and the pop-up has limited space.

Because it was almost identical, team annotations are now also functional, so that may be a better place to put the list of who has paid; you can list everybody and their status. Another option would be to have comments only for those who have paid (or those who haven't), and then you can use the difference between "add note" vs "edit note" in the player pop-up to tell at a glance who is in which group.

Game and field annotations are more complicated, because they will have other visibility options that just "private". Probably next week before I get to them.
GregS
TUC Webmaster

Postby lwswong » Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:20 pm

GregS wrote:I thought about that, but you can put in really long notes if you want, and the pop-up has limited space.

Compromise? 1-2 lines in the pop-up, and then "..." with a hyperlink to go to the notes page?

I still think that's more convenient than ever having to click on any particular page. if you have extensive notes, it obviously makes sense to go to that page anyway.

But you're the boss!!!
lwswong

Postby GregS » Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:54 pm

lwswong wrote:Compromise? 1-2 lines in the pop-up, and then "..." with a hyperlink to go to the notes page?

Since the notes are in HTML, it's rather difficult to say what comprises 1-2 lines. I'm sure I'll come up with a solution for this eventually (perhaps a bigger pop-up window, perhaps put a scroll bar in it if the content is too long), but it's lower priority than a few other things on the todo list.
GregS
TUC Webmaster

Postby GregS » Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:34 pm

Game notes are now functional! When you add a note to a game, you can choose to make it private (only visible to yourself), for the team captains, or for everyone on the team. All notes that you are allowed to see will be on the game details page.

Notes that you add that anyone else can see will be automatically emailed out to them, so this should be an excellent way to communicate with your teams. (Actually, people rostered as subs can see the game notes, but won't have them emailed.)
GregS
TUC Webmaster

Return to TUC Website