View topic - My Games page

My Games page

Announcements, complaints and other discussion about all aspects of our website.

My Games page

Postby GregS » Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:28 pm

It was recently suggested to me that the order of items on the My Games page should be changed to put the games first and teams second, instead of the other way around. The suggestion was driven by this individual's observation that, when they click "My Games", they are primarily interested in, you know, their games, and so this should come first. That's a valid point, and it's quite easy to change that. There are a couple of arguments on the flip side, however.

First, there's "that's how it's always been". This isn't a good argument in itself, but it also encompasses more subtle points, like the fact that somewhere around 10,000 people (between TUC, OCUA, GUPA, WODS, LUC and other organizations) have been using Leaguerunner and Zuluru in this configuration for many years, and this is the first time I've heard the suggestion. Maybe it's just that nobody thought of it, or people thought of it but didn't bother to mention it, but maybe it's because the current layout works really well for the majority. It's also possible that it used to be the other way at OCUA in an earlier version and people wanted it changed to this, or that the original developer did some sort of survey to find out what would be most effective for people.

Second, the "My Teams" section of this page is typically shorter than the "My Games", meaning that less scrolling is required to get to the game info with this layout than would be required to get to the team info with an inverted layout.

Third, the "My Teams" section includes (though the various pop-ups and links) access to more information than the "My Games" section does, which means that information is more readily available if no scrolling is required to reach it.

Since changing the order of this page is not a clear-cut and obvious benefit, I thought I'd throw it out there to the community to discuss. What are your thoughts, opinions and suggestions, keeping in mind that the goal of the "My Games" page is to be a single point of entry providing access to as much pertinent day-to-day information as possible; I don't want to split this into separate "My Games" and "My Teams" pages that would frequently require an extra click.
Did you get that thing I sent you?
GregS
TUC Webmaster

Postby larrypmac » Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:06 pm

I like it the way it is. Teams is more of a summary, while games are more detail. Summary should appear on a form above the detail.

Larry
larrypmac

Postby Big Country » Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:04 am

larrypmac wrote:I like it the way it is. Teams is more of a summary, while games are more detail. Summary should appear on a form above the detail.

Larry

Agreed
Big Country

Return to TUC Website