|Dear TUC Member,
• Registration Opens March 17
• TUC Membership 2008-2009
• TUC Summer League Registration – New Improvements!
• How to Register
• NEW ‘SURF ‘N’ TURF’ SPRING LEAGUE!
• Volunteer Of The Month
• Toronto Juniors Indoor League – Starts This Week
• TUC All-Nighter Tournament for Easter Seals
• 2008 TUC Event Calendar
• CUPA & OSDA Announcements
ATTENTION ALL ULTIMATE PLAYERS! REGISTRATION FOR TUC SPRING AND SUMMER LEAGUES OPENS MARCH 17!
Starting Monday, March 17, registration will be open for TUC 2008 Membership, Spring League, AND SUMMER LEAGUE!
Now is the time to start thinking about your summer team or if you want to play in our newly formatted Spring League. Be sure to get all your friends to sign up for their individual memberships early and captains get your teams signed up for the summer. Spring League Registration closes April 4 and Summer Registration closes Monday, April 30.
TUC Membership 2008-2009
Your 2008 TUC membership is valid from April 1, 2008 to March 31, 2009. This annual fee of $65 is used to cover the Club costs of our professional full-time managers, as well as membership packages and insurance coverage. A portion of the regular membership ($25) is also allocated to our ‘Future Fields Fund’ which is used to develop existing TUC fields and/or acquire new ones. All players in TUC leagues must first be a valid member of the Toronto Ultimate Club.
NEW INTRODUCTORY MEMBERSHIP
TUC is introducing a new type of membership for brand-new players or players who have not been with TUC for more than 3 years. If you or someone you know falls into this category, we offer you a 2008 membership for only $25! This fee includes a membership package and all member privileges – there is no Field Fund contribution. This one-time annual offer is a more affordable initiation, or welcome back (!) to TUC.
Your TUC Membership privileges include:
- Free membership package including an authentic 2008 TUC Member Disc, an instructional ‘Ultimate 101” DVD, TUC sticker and magnet, and for introductory members a copy of the 11th edition UPA Rulebook.
- Free TUC events – skills & theory clinics, new & improved parties, hat tournaments, Midseason tournament, Playoffs tournaments;
- Free LAYOUT– the TUC e-newsletter delivering important updates and latest news directly to your inbox;
- Free Pie Plate – year end souvenir magazine;
- Partner Discounts on discs, apparel, sports medical products, and TEAM MEALS;
- Participants accidental liability coverage for all TUC members
- Annual General Meeting – an opportunity to attend and vote;
- Volunteer Programs – opportunity to teach youth, promote Spirit, and help the Club at events or on committees – earning you FREE GEAR at the TUC Shop;
- TUC Shop – get your Ultimate gear at our head office located at 1185 Eglinton Ave. East, Suite 703, North York.
- Free membership to the Ontario Disc Sports Association, allowing you to receive the ODSA newsletter and take advantage of their partner discounts
- Dedicated TUC Managers – we are here for you!
TUC Summer League Registration – New Improvements!
As mentioned, Summer Registration begins Monday, March 17 and closes Monday, April 30. Team fees for Summer League will be $750 per team and individual fees (for those who want to register as a solo player on a hat team) are $50 per person. This year we will continue to offer improved field locations; including games at BMO Field (home of Toronto FC), Varsity Centre, Birchmount Stadium, and Downsview Park (new turf fields). Also in 2008 we are incorporating a number of changes into our Summer League format to improve the overall member experience:
- Ratings ladder implemented on all weeknights to improve balance of play and allow teams to excel in the standings more rapidly
- 3 SEPARATE LADDER DIVISIONS PER NIGHT: Competitive, West, and East. The competitive division will contain the top teams and game locations will be across the City. West and East divisions will contain intermediate and recreational teams (sub-divisions) with all games being played in their named division (West being west of Yonge Street, East being east of Yonge Street). Divisions will be capped based on field availability.
- New Member 5 Week Clinic Leagues – weekly program for beginners that will include technique instruction and then pickup games. We will offer 3 groups of 5-week clinics (1 in the West end, 1 in the East end) throughout the 15-week summer season. The clinic leagues are highly recommended for newer players and teams. Cost is $25 per TUC member for a 5-week session.
- New Spirit Hat tournament on May 31 – we ask all teams to send at least one representative for this Spirit-focused event, or as many players as you like! We will still be doing the Summer Experience Tournament and the Mid-season Classic.
- Even more emphasis on Spirit of the Game, including SPIRIT TEAM PRIZING courtesy of our friends from Steamwhistle Brewery!
- New Summer Playoff format: Summer League Playoffs will change from a full-weekend format to a 3-game, 1-day format (held on two Saturdays). A TUC All-Star game will be included on the second weekend. Playoffs will still be free to TUC teams.
TUC Summer League will begin the week of May 19 and conclude the week of September 1. All Summer League games are 7-on-7 Co-Ed, FULL FIELD games. Captain’s meetings will be held the week of May 12-15: each team captain must attend the meeting for their corresponding game night.
How to Register
Visit www.tuc.org for individual registration and all leagues online or visit our Head Office. Follow the website prompts starting Monday, March 17, or search under “About TUC – Registration Information.”
Key Registration Dates
||Membership Registration, Spring League, and Summer League registration opens
||Spring League Registration CLOSES
||Summer League Registration CLOSES
NEW ‘SURF ‘N’ TURF’ SPRING LEAGUE!
Spring League is back in a BRAND NEW FORMAT. We are offering both co-ed and single gender leagues, 6-on-6 and 7-on-7, with games being hosted on the beach at Ashbridges Bay AND the fabulous TURF facilities at Birchmount Stadium and BMO Field! Spring League is a great opportunity for new players to learn the game, and for experienced players/teams to rev up their skills for summer league. HERE’S HOW THE SURF ‘N’ TURF LEAGUE WORKS:
Monday Co-Ed 6-on-6 Surf ‘n’ Turf League
Wednesday Men’s & Women’s 7-on-7 Surf ‘n’ Turf Leagues
- Runs from Monday, April 7 to Monday, May 12 (6 weeks).
- Level of Play: Intermediate/Recreational
- THE SURF: 1st two weeks (April 7 and 14) are on the beaches at Ashbridges Bay. Games run from 6:30pm to 8:00pm (or dark) and it is at the discretion of the captains to setup the fields in the west end of the beach. These beach games are optional so captains can decide whether to play them based on the weather.
- THE TURF: 4 weeks from April 21 to May 12 at BMO FIELD. Games run from 7pm-8pm and 8pm-9pm sharp. Fields are setup like they are for indoor leagues, going width-wise across the field. Although, despite being a 6-on-6 league, it will be a regular ‘Pull’ format, not speed-point.
- Cost: $125 per team (bargain!) or $20 per individual. All players must be valid members of TUC. Limited spots available.
Limited spots available so order up your serving of Surf ‘N’ Turf now! Sign up between March 17 and April 4.
- Runs from Wednesday, April 9 to Wednesday, May 14 (6 weeks).
- Level of Play: ALL LEVELS
- THE SURF: 1st two weeks (April 9 and 16) are on the beaches at Ashbridges Bay. Games run from 6:30pm to 8:00pm (or dark) and it is at the discretion of the captains to setup the fields in the west end of the beach. These beach games are optional so teams can decide whether to play them based on the weather.
- THE TURF: 4 weeks from April 23 to May 14 at BMO FIELD AND BIRCHMOUNT STADIUM. Games run from 7pm-9pm sharp at BMO and 6:30-8:30pm sharp at Birchmount. Games are 7-on-7 FULL FIELD. Fields are setup like they are for summer leagues, with two fields setup vertical on the soccer pitch. A brief clinic session will be included at the beginning of each game, followed by league game. Sessions will be tailored to be specific to men’s or women’s league.
- Cost: $35 per individual – no team signups, all teams will be hat teams with assigned players. All players must be valid members of TUC. Limited spots available.
For February is Tom Walsh
Tom Walsh is the February ’08 Volunteer of the Month. Tom was present both days for our Catch the Spirit High School Tournament, helping to score games, setup fields, and run skill clinics. With help from our committed volunteers the tournament was a great success, running very smoothly. Tom has also offered to be our new Volunteer Chair, filling a greatly needed role for the Club. Interested in volunteering? Contact Tom at email@example.com
Thanks for all your hard work Tom!
The 2007 Volunteer of the Month awards are brought to you by Scallywags Bar & Restaurant. Each Volunteer of the Month receives $50 Scally's Dollars that can be used towards any purchase at Scallywags!
STARTS THIS WEEK
Last chance for TUC Juniors to sign-up! Our new Indoor League, specifically for Junior-aged players, starts this Thursday at 7pm at the Downsview Hangar (meet at Field #4). It will be a competitive co-ed, speedpoint 6-on-6 league that includes some brief skill work. TJIL runs on Thursdays from March 6 – April 3. Games start at 7pm. Cost is $50 per player and it includes your TUC 2008 Junior Membership!
REGISTER NOW! or contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Tournament in support of Easter Seals
Saturday March 8 @ Midnight
Registration Closes This Wednesday!
This is your last chance to register for the TUC All-Nighter. The tournament returns to the Downsview Hangar, on Saturday midnight/Sunday morning March 8/9, 11:59pm – 7am. Players register individually and are placed on teams (although we can accommodate some requests), and we play all through the night! Cost to participate in this charitable event is $35 per TUC member and $45 per non-TUC member. Like last year the 2008 All-Nighter will see all net proceeds donated to Easter Seals; supporting children with disabilities who need equipment and resources to succeed in life.
Registration closes Wednesday, March 5. Players will be contacted by Thursday regarding teams and important event details.
Here are some of our important calendar dates for 2008:
Membership, Spring League, & Summer League Registration Opens!
Spring League Registration Closes
- 7th & 9th
Co-ed Spring League + Women’s & Men’s Spring League Begin
Summer League Registration Closes
- 12th to 15th
Captains Meetings for Summer League
Summer League Begins
Spirit Hat Tournament and Summer Season Kickoff Party
Toronto Juniors Summer League Begins
- 14th & 15th
TUC Summer Experience Tournament
- 19th & 20th
TUC Midseason Tournament
Roster Deadline & Summer Playoff Registration
- 2nd to 9th
World Championships in Vancouver
- 14th to 17th
National Championships in Calgary
TUC Hat Tournament
Fall League Registration opens
- 6th & 13th
Summer Playoffs (TBD)
TUC Summer End Party
TUC All-Star Game/Scally’s Cup and AGM
Fall Outdoor Leagues Begin
Fall Indoor Leagues Begin
Winter League Registration
*Dates are subject to change over the year, visit the TUC Events Calendar for all updates.
CUPA: CUPA: An interactive website for the 2008 Canadian Ultimate Championships is now live. Check out www.calgary2008.com
ODSA: In the Spring of 2008 (late April to late May) TUC will be partnering with the Ontario Disc Sport Association to provide FREE Ultimate clinics to schools in the GTA! Named, the ‘Radd Tour’, this program will seek out 50 middle-schools/high schools in 5 weeks. Participating classes will receive expert Ultimate instruction, discs, and teaching kits all for FREE! If you know of a school that would be interested in this great offering please contact our School Clinics Chair at email@example.com