|Dear TUC Member,
• TUC SPRING & SUMMER REGISTRATION IS NOW OPEN
• TUC Membership 2008-2009
• TUC Summer League Registration – New Improvements!
• How to Register
• VOLUNTEER in 2008
• NEW ‘SURF ‘N’ TURF’ SPRING LEAGUE!
• Volunteer Of The Month
• TUC Clinics in April
• BMO Winter League Schedule Reminder
• TUC All-Nighter Moved to March 29
• New TUC Shop Items
TUC SPRING & SUMMER REGISTRATION IS NOW OPEN
Registration is now open for TUC 2008 Membership, Spring League, and Summer League, so don’t delay! Our Spring Co-Ed League filled up in record time (only a few individual female spots left) and our Men’s and Women’s Leagues are gaining steam. There are less than 2 weeks to register for Spring League (closes April 4) so sign up now!
Also our Summer Team registration is doing very well. Now is absolutely the time to sign up your team for summer. Be sure to get all your friends to sign up for their individual memberships early and captains get your teams signed up for the summer. There are some limitations on our divisions so the earlier you register the better – registration and payment confirms your spot. Summer Registration closes Monday, April 30.
TUC Membership 2008-2009
Your 2008 TUC membership is valid from April 1, 2008 to March 31, 2009. This annual fee of $65 is used to cover the Club costs of our professional full-time managers, as well as membership packages and insurance coverage. A portion of the regular membership ($25) is also allocated to our ‘Future Fields Fund’ which is used to develop existing TUC fields and/or acquire new ones. All players in TUC leagues must first be a valid member of the Toronto Ultimate Club.
NEW INTRODUCTORY MEMBERSHIP
TUC is introducing a new type of membership for brand-new players or players who have not been with TUC for more than 3 years. If you or someone you know falls into this category, we offer you a 2008 membership for only $25! This fee includes a membership package and all member privileges – there is no Field Fund contribution. This one-time annual offer is a more affordable initiation, or welcome back (!) to TUC.
Your TUC Membership privileges include:
- Free membership package including an authentic 2008 TUC Member Disc, an instructional ‘Ultimate 101” DVD, TUC sticker and magnet, and for introductory members a copy of the 11th edition UPA Rulebook.
- Free TUC events – skills & theory clinics, new & improved parties, hat tournaments, Midseason tournament, Playoffs tournaments;
- Free LAYOUT– the TUC e-newsletter delivering important updates and latest news directly to your inbox;
- Free Pie Plate – year end souvenir magazine;
- Partner Discounts on discs, apparel, sports medical products, and TEAM MEALS;
- Participants accidental liability coverage for all TUC members
- Annual General Meeting – an opportunity to attend and vote;
- Volunteer Programs – opportunity to teach youth, promote Spirit, and help the Club at events or on committees – earning you FREE GEAR at the TUC Shop;
- TUC Shop – get your Ultimate gear at our head office located at 1185 Eglinton Ave. East, Suite 703, North York.
- Free membership to the Ontario Disc Sports Association, allowing you to receive the ODSA newsletter and take advantage of their partner discounts
- Dedicated TUC Managers – we are here for you!
TUC Summer League Registration – New Improvements!
As mentioned, Summer Registration begins Monday, March 17 and closes Monday, April 30. Team fees for Summer League will be $750 per team and individual fees (for those who want to register as a solo player on a hat team) are $50 per person. This year we will continue to offer improved field locations; including games at BMO Field (home of Toronto FC), Varsity Centre, Birchmount Stadium, and Downsview Park (new turf fields). Also in 2008 we are incorporating a number of changes into our Summer League format to improve the overall member experience:
- Ratings ladder implemented on all weeknights to improve balance of play and allow teams to excel in the standings more rapidly
- 3 SEPARATE LADDER DIVISIONS PER NIGHT: Competitive, West, and East. The competitive division will contain the top teams and game locations will be across the City. West and East divisions will contain intermediate and recreational teams (sub-divisions) with all games being played in their named division (West being west of Yonge Street, East being east of Yonge Street). Divisions will be capped based on field availability.
- New Member 5 Week Clinic Leagues – weekly program for beginners that will include technique instruction and then pickup games. We will offer 3 groups of 5-week clinics (1 in the West end, 1 in the East end) throughout the 15-week summer season. The clinic leagues are highly recommended for newer players and teams. Cost is $25 per TUC member for a 5-week session.
- New Spirit Hat tournament on May 31 – we ask all teams to send at least one representative for this Spirit-focused event, or as many players as you like! We will still be doing the Summer Experience Tournament and the Mid-season Classic.
- Even more emphasis on Spirit of the Game, including SPIRIT TEAM PRIZING courtesy of our friends from Steamwhistle Brewery!
- New Summer Playoff format: Summer League Playoffs will change from a full-weekend format to a 3-game, 1-day format (held on two Saturdays). A TUC All-Star game will be included on the second weekend. Playoffs will still be free to TUC teams.
TUC Summer League will begin the week of May 19 and conclude the week of September 1. All Summer League games are 7-on-7 Co-Ed, FULL FIELD games. Captain’s meetings will be held the week of May 12-15: each team captain must attend the meeting for their corresponding game night.
How to Register
Visit www.tuc.org for individual registration and all leagues online or visit our Head Office. Follow the website prompts starting Monday, March 17, or search under “About TUC – Registration Information.”
Key Registration Dates
||Membership Registration, Spring League, and Summer League registration opens
||Spring League Registration CLOSES
||Summer League Registration CLOSES
NEW ‘SURF ‘N’ TURF’ SPRING LEAGUE!
Spring League is back in a BRAND NEW FORMAT. We are offering both co-ed and single gender leagues, 6-on-6 and 7-on-7, with games being hosted on the beach at Ashbridges Bay AND the fabulous TURF facilities at Birchmount Stadium and BMO Field! Spring League is a great opportunity for new players to learn the game, and for experienced players/teams to rev up their skills for summer league. HERE’S HOW THE SURF ‘N’ TURF LEAGUE WORKS:
Monday Co-Ed 6-on-6 Surf ‘n’ Turf League
Wednesday Men’s & Women’s 7-on-7 Surf ‘n’ Turf Leagues
- Runs from Monday, April 7 to Monday, May 12 (6 weeks).
- Level of Play: Intermediate/Recreational
- THE SURF: 1st two weeks (April 7 and 14) are on the beaches at Ashbridges Bay. Games run from 6:30pm to 8:00pm (or dark) and it is at the discretion of the captains to setup the fields in the west end of the beach. These beach games are optional so captains can decide whether to play them based on the weather.
- THE TURF: 4 weeks from April 21 to May 12 at BMO FIELD. Games run from 7pm-8pm and 8pm-9pm sharp. Fields are setup like they are for indoor leagues, going width-wise across the field. Although, despite being a 6-on-6 league, it will be a regular ‘Pull’ format, not speed-point.
- Cost: $125 per team (bargain!) or $20 per individual. All players must be valid members of TUC. Limited spots available.
Limited spots available so order up your serving of Surf ‘N’ Turf now! Sign up between March 17 and April 4.
- Runs from Wednesday, April 9 to Wednesday, May 14 (6 weeks).
- Level of Play: ALL LEVELS
- THE SURF: 1st two weeks (April 9 and 16) are on the beaches at Ashbridges Bay. Games run from 6:30pm to 8:00pm (or dark) and it is at the discretion of the captains to setup the fields in the west end of the beach. These beach games are optional so teams can decide whether to play them based on the weather.
- THE TURF: 4 weeks from April 23 to May 14 at BMO FIELD AND BIRCHMOUNT STADIUM. Games run from 7pm-9pm sharp at BMO and 6:30-8:30pm sharp at Birchmount. Games are 7-on-7 FULL FIELD. Fields are setup like they are for summer leagues, with two fields setup vertical on the soccer pitch. A brief clinic session will be included at the beginning of each game, followed by league game. Sessions will be tailored to be specific to men’s or women’s league.
- Cost: $35 per individual – no team signups, all teams will be hat teams with assigned players. All players must be valid members of TUC. Limited spots available.
As communicated in February, our initial 10-week schedule for Monday and Tuesday Winter Leagues were changed due to an earlier closing time at BMO Field. Therefore, make-up games on March 28 & April 4 (Fridays) were scheduled for Monday League, and make-up games on March 29 and April 5 (Saturdays) were scheduled for Tuesday League. Here is the schedule for the last 4 games of the season, with a few notes below. Please prepare accordingly and good luck to all teams in their final games!
Monday Competitive and Intermediate Divisions (Elite Division is not impacted with all final games at Varsity) - 3 weeks playoffs:Monday, March 24, 9pm-12am, BMO Field: 7th game of season
Friday, March 28, 9pm-12am, BMO Field: 1st game of playoffs for Monday Co-Ed Competitive and Intermediate Divisions (make-up for loss of April 7, 8th game of season)
Monday, March 31, 9pm-12am, BMO Field: 2nd round of playoffs for Monday Co-ed Competitive and Intermediate Divisions (last Monday at BMO, 9th game of season - also 8th game of season for those teams only playing 8 games)
Friday, April 4, 9pm-12am, BMO Field: Final games for Monday Co-Ed Competitive and Intermediate Divisions (make-up for loss of April 14, 10th game of season)
Tuesday Co-Ed (3wks playoffs) and Men's Divisions (2 weeks playoffs):
Tuesday, March 25, 9pm-12am, BMO Field: 7th game of season
Saturday, March 29, 7pm – 11pm, BMO Field: 1st round of playoffs for Tuesday Co-Ed and last regular season game for Men's League teams (make-up for loss of April 8, 8th game of season)
Tuesday, April 1, 9pm-12am, BMO Field: 2nd round of playoffs for Tuesday Co-Ed and 1st round for Men’s League teams (last Tuesday at BMO, 9th game)
Saturday, April 5, 6pm-10pm, BMO Field: Final games for Tuesday Co-ed and Men’s League teams (make up for loss of April 15, 10th game)
- Those teams on Monday (4) who are only playing 8 games will not be participating in the playoffs. Players on these teams are not eligible to be substitutes on playoff teams since they have been compensated a greater amount for a reduction of games.
- Playoff teams are eligible to accept substitutes under the following conditions:
- They are IN NEED of substitutes, meaning they cannot field a proper team. If teams have 6 or more males and 3 or more females (full line + reasonable subs) then they are not in need
- Substitutes are registered Winter League players
- Substitutes are declared in advance to the opposing team captain and are agreed upon
For more information please contact your league convenor.
For February is Tom Walsh
Tom Walsh is the February ’08 Volunteer of the Month. Tom was present both days for our Catch the Spirit High School Tournament, helping to score games, setup fields, and run skill clinics. With help from our committed volunteers the tournament was a great success, running very smoothly. Tom has also offered to be our new Volunteer Chair, filling a greatly needed role for the Club. Interested in volunteering? Contact Tom at email@example.com
Thanks for all your hard work Tom!
The 2007 Volunteer of the Month awards are brought to you by Scallywags Bar & Restaurant. Each Volunteer of the Month receives $50 Scally's Dollars that can be used towards any purchase at Scallywags!
Here are the next two upcoming TUC Clinics. Registration for these clinics is done online. We hope to add a few more during the spring for beginner players so stay tuned!
Apr 10 @ The Downsview Hanger, 7pm-9:15pm - 'Get In The Zone':
A session devoted to teaching/discussing zone defense and offense as well as endzone plays. This clinic is suggested for intermediate level players and upwards. Cost is $5 per TUC member and $15 per non-TUC member. Bring both a dark and light coloured shirt (for scrimmage) and lots of water to drink!.
Apr 27 @ Lamport Stadium, 11:00am - 1:30pm - 'TEAM Clinic':
Does your team struggle to get in sync? Need some help in getting the basics down? We are hosting a clinic for TUC summer/spring teams on Sunday April 27, 11:30am at Lamport Stadium! Captains can bring their teams down to the field for some expert instruction on basic team concepts, set plays, rule discussion, and how to play with Spirit of the Game. We will give your team the opportunity to learn some concepts TOGETHER and then try them out on the field. Cost is $5 per TUC member and $15 per non-TUC member. Everyone registers individually but you show up as a team on the day. Bring both a dark and light coloured shirt (for scrimmage) and lots of water to drink!
Registration for both clinics open soon (stay tuned). Email firstname.lastname@example.org with any further questions. See you there!
Moved to March 29, 2008
Due to the snowstorm on March 8 the TUC All-Nighter has been rescheduled to March 29. The tournament runs on Saturday midnight/Sunday morning March 29/30, 11:59pm – 7am. Players register individually and are placed on teams (although we can accommodate some requests), and we play all through the night! Cost to participate in this charitable event is $35 per TUC member and $45 per non-TUC member. Like last year the 2008 All-Nighter will see all net proceeds donated to Easter Seals; supporting children with disabilities who need equipment and resources to succeed in life.
Registration has been extended to March 26. Players will be contacted by March 27 regarding teams and important event details.
TUC remains a volunteer-driven Club whose success is dependent on the blood, sweat, and tears of its benevolent members. Visit our Strategic Guide to get an idea of where we’re heading. Enthusiastic volunteers are asked to step up to the plate – whether your contribution is big or small, it all helps the Club!
New Items Have Arrived
New Items Have Arrived
a new stock of GAIA outdoor cleats have finally arrived at the TUC shop! TUC carries men’s and women’s sizes in the G4, Vapor, Flame, and Sky cleats. We advise you call our office in advance to make sure we have your size, and then come over and try them on! Cleats go fast, so don’t delay!
a new book written by national junior coaches with more than 45 years of combined playing, team, and coaching experience in Ultimate. This comprehensive guide contains over 200 illustrations and photographs and provides in-depth information on these elements:
- Throwing and catching techniques
- Individual offensive and defensive skills
- Team tactics
- Mental and physical preparation for competition
- Starting and administering Ultimate programs