View topic - Preventing Shin Splints

Preventing Shin Splints

Post all your general ultimate postings here.

Preventing Shin Splints

Postby haydizzle » Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:42 pm

Hey guys... hopefully someone out there can help..

My name is Hayden , and I may have played with you, more recently probably in pain, and if I havent played with you, then hopefully soon! ( not the pain part :))

So I have been playing frisbee for 10 years or more now, since highschool.
For the majority of my life I used Rebok football cleats, which were great, they had ankle support and padding ( I am tall, so padding is important to me).
Never any problems since last year they finally gave out in the toe, so I looked for some new ones.

Tried some nike soccer cleats, tried various others, all the major brands are too narrow for my feet.

Used some cheap nike soccer cleats in this past indoor winter season, things were fine. But still not enough padding... especially in the toe and bottom. No injuries or any pain, not sure if that was from the soft indoor turf or the cleats or what. ( trying to figure out if it is me playing more, playing outside, playing harder, new cleats or whats causing this)

Eventually I found an Adidas soccer cleat, that is very soft all around, and are wide. Now my feet are also not the same exact size, so there is a little wiggle room...( I use 2 socks to compensate) started using them in the summer season we are in now, and I forget the exact time ... but I started getting shin pains/splints.. probably 2 months ago.

Been to a chiropractor, and it looks like my shins are becoming misaligned( a cousin to shin splints, but I guess can be treated similarly?), and the pain is always there after/during a game. I took 2 weeks off and things felt good, but this past week back in action, still had problems.

Ive read a lot online, I also snagged a pair of sport insoles from superfeet i think with a 60 day 100% guarentee, those on top of my existing padding in my cleats stop the movement a bit, help support my high arch ( another culprit) and feel good. That could take 2-3 weeks to take effect, just started those this monday.

I dont expect instant results from these insoles ( thats why they have the 60 day guarentee..) but I am wondering if anyone else has overcame this same problem before.

I have read a lot of the standard stuff online, shin splints common causes ect. Yes I warm up, stretch, support my arch try and do it all. Taking a Anti-inflamatory pill does help make running pain free, but id rather fix the problem.

Any advice or experience, no matter how small, would be a big help, I am litterally looking for anything here. Even if its a cleat recommendation for wide feet/high arch/lots of padding, a tool or trick, how to stretch the sides of your shins effectively or how you knew someone who knew someone who had this problem, let me know!

If this next 2 weeks doesnt get better I will probably:

-go back to old cleats/try new cleats
-get a new chiropractor
-try different insoles with a higher arch support ( gotta be careful not to overcorrect)
-something else
-pop pills :P

Thanks for any input guys, See you soon!

:D
haydizzle

Postby smash-crunch » Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:04 pm

I fixed my issue with shin splints by doing dorsiflexion exercises. As simple as flexing the foot up trying to touch your toes to your shin. You can do it while seated using the computer or whatever else.

The thinking is that weak muscles on the front of the shin don't properly support your foot as you bring your leg forward in stride, causing your foot to whip forward. The repetitive whipping motion strains the tendons that connect to your shin bone right below the knee, causing shin splint pain. Your new cleats might be heavier towards the toe box, exacerbating the problem, like the weight on the end of a flail.

Try it and see if it helps.
smash-crunch

Postby GregS » Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:46 pm

You might also look into custom orthotics. There's any number of TUC members who work in this area and could hook you up.

New Balance used to make a great football/lacrosse cleat in different widths, but it seems they have discontinued that entirely now, and I haven't found another company that does cleats in other than the standard width. :x
Did you get that thing I sent you?
GregS
TUC Webmaster

Postby bargold » Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:39 pm

I suffered from shin splits for quite some time.
ART fixed the symptons.
But to maintain their healthy condition after treatment, i was given one piece of advice:
STRETCH YOUR CALVES!!

I've been doing it ever since, and have not had a single recurrence.
othotics have definitely helped, but i've also found that heel walks help strenghten the shins and supporting muscular bodies.
bargold

Postby gkitch » Sat Jul 26, 2014 5:26 pm

Honsberger Physiotherapy specializes in rehabilitation from sports injuries and they have fixed me up a few times. They are honest and serve their clients with high integrity. They were the second clinic that I visited after a negative experience with one in the Sheppard and North York area. I asked him about orthotics, but he told me that they were just a patch, and the real solution was through exercise and stretching similar to what others have mentioned below. Go check them out at HWY 404 & HWY 7.
gkitch

Postby tjweir » Sun Jul 27, 2014 6:45 pm

The are a numbers of reason for shin splits, one reason may be a weak tibialis.

Check out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VoC5g4P1RAM
tjweir

Postby haydizzle » Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:23 am

thanks for the ideas guys, however its a little puzzing still that this has only just started happening recently...

the only factors that changed are:

slight increase in playtime per week
cleat changes
field change ( indoor to outdoor, I did play outdoor last year with no problems)
haydizzle

Postby HotSauce » Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:33 pm

haydizzle wrote:thanks for the ideas guys, however its a little puzzing still that this has only just started happening recently...

the only factors that changed are:

slight increase in playtime per week
cleat changes
field change ( indoor to outdoor, I did play outdoor last year with no problems)

There is one more that you've left out. You are one year older...
HotSauce

Postby haydizzle » Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:09 pm

so taking a month off. pretty sure i have been getting micro cracks in my shins and was fatigued after playing summer experience... hopefully rest, a workout routine to strengthen the legs and vitamins will help get me back in for fall.

thanks for the suggestions everyone.
haydizzle

Return to Anything Ultimate!