View topic - Turf Pellets Bad?

Turf Pellets Bad?

Post all your general ultimate postings here.

Turf Pellets Bad?

Postby @UltiCraig » Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:01 am

A tweet by Gwen Ambler sent me to this article about the possible hazards of those little black pellets we live with.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/investigati ... ys-n220166

It appears more research needs to be done, but it does make one wonder.
Play catch. Invent games. Flat flip flies straight. Tilted flip curves.
@UltiCraig

Postby atanarjuat » Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:34 pm

You know, I actually didn't really like the article that much. Even though an argument can always be made that the science is incomplete (that being a perennial truth of science), all the science done so far has yet to reveal any cause for concern.

Apparently unsatisfied with that, though, the article kept grasping at straws with this tenuous chain of anecdotal logic. I think I'd need to see a lot more than "most of the cancer-stricken soccer players a certain coach could find happen to be goalkeepers . . . so she's concerned about synthetic turf" before I'd make that the lead-in to a whole article.

Seriously? Even allowing for how limited and biased that sample is.... Of all the possible correlations . . . how the heck did she come to suspect turf first? There must be a hundred stronger correlations. She might as well even suspect new soccer nets.
atanarjuat

Postby gkitch » Wed Oct 15, 2014 4:06 pm

atanarjuat wrote:You know, I actually didn't really like the article that much. Even though an argument can always be made that the science is incomplete (that being a perennial truth of science), all the science done so far has yet to reveal any cause for concern.

While that might be true, I still agree with Ulticraig's idea in that it makes you think, and it would be good to see a proper study completed. And by study, it can't be a small sample size of "do you play goalie or not?". It needs to be done by the people who earn the big bucks at think tanks, not an NBC writer throwing darts to make the evening news.
gkitch

Postby GregS » Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:50 am

gkitch wrote:it would be good to see a proper study completed. And by study, it can't be a small sample size of "do you play goalie or not?". It needs to be done by the people who earn the big bucks at think tanks, not an NBC writer throwing darts to make the evening news.

Did I misread the article? I thought it said that multiple studies had been done, and no links found.
Did you get that thing I sent you?
GregS
TUC Webmaster

Postby jonhollinger » Sat Oct 18, 2014 5:13 pm

"Jordan's mother, Suzie Swarthout, said her daughter probably swallowed hundreds of tire crumbs a year."

What?!
jonhollinger

Postby oshai » Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:52 am

GregS wrote:Did I misread the article? I thought it said that multiple studies had been done, and no links found.

No, you read it correctly. Unfortunately, it's virtually impossible to prove something doesn't exist. The scientists, knowing that, then say that no links have been found yada yada but that they can't be 100% sure.

Yay for journalism! That means that the studies are inconclusive and scientists are not sure about the results. Let's freak everyone out! </sarcasm>
oshai

Return to Anything Ultimate!