View topic - Is there an official policy when finding subs?

Is there an official policy when finding subs?

Post all your league discussions here.

Is there an official policy when finding subs?

Postby tjweir » Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:42 am

Within the Masters League that is currently running at CTS, there is a list of substitutes that are available if a team is short players. There is a process of getting subs approved by the other captain for fairness and seems to be working well.

There does not seem to be a similar process for the UCC Mixed league. We will often play against another team that has called up very strong subs, including last night where one sub was easily their strongest player.

If there is no official policy and just an assumption of good spirit and fairness then I'll shut my mouth and play whomever, but if there is an official policy, can I be pointed to it?
tjweir

Re: Is there an official policy when finding subs?

Postby Canuck » Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:16 am

Hi Tyler,

The TUC rules for all leagues have a paragraph on substitutes outlining subs for each game. It is the duty of the captains to declare their subs before the game begins. Full info below.

https://www.tuc.org/rules/indoor

"Substitutes for all leagues MUST be current registered members of TUC.
For individual signup (hat) leagues, if a player is unable to make a game, a substitute who is also registered in the hat league may be used. If a team needs to find a sub from outside of the hat league, a sub of equal or lesser skill may be used as a replacement, however that sub must be cleared to play by the opposing captain. If you have to miss a game, pease inform your captain so that he/she may make arrangements. For the playoffs opposing captains must be informed of substitute players and may refuse if the substitute is a stronger player than the one absent (see playoff rules below)."

Cheers,

Wesley
Canuck

Postby tjweir » Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:48 am

Canuck wrote:Hi Tyler,

The TUC rules for all leagues have a paragraph on substitutes outlining subs for each game. It is the duty of the captains to declare their subs before the game begins. Full info below.

https://www.tuc.org/rules/indoor

"Substitutes for all leagues MUST be current registered members of TUC.
For individual signup (hat) leagues, if a player is unable to make a game, a substitute who is also registered in the hat league may be used. If a team needs to find a sub from outside of the hat league, a sub of equal or lesser skill may be used as a replacement, however that sub must be cleared to play by the opposing captain. If you have to miss a game, pease inform your captain so that he/she may make arrangements. For the playoffs opposing captains must be informed of substitute players and may refuse if the substitute is a stronger player than the one absent (see playoff rules below)."

Cheers,

Wesley

Thanks Wesley!

I'm not sure how I missed that, but I did.

The rule states that if the player is outside of TUC they must be "sub of equal or lesser skill" and cleared to play.
So stacking your team during the season is not against the rules, just against Spirit I would argue. I was mistaken this past Sunday.
tjweir

Postby baron » Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:34 pm

Canuck wrote:"Substitutes for all leagues MUST be current registered members of TUC.

Note that the rule is for hat leagues (eg: Masters, Parity, Downsview, etc.) only and doesn't apply for leagues with team signups. The reason being that hat leagues strive for balanced teams via some sort of draft and for team leagues, you're naturally going to some strong teams and some weak teams that sign up. If a team gets a really strong sub, one could argue that the team could've had the sub on their roster at the beginning of the season and you, as another captain, can't contest it anyway so having them now for 1 game doesn't matter.

In any case, it comes down to pretty much what you said:
tjweir wrote:there is no official policy and just an assumption of good spirit and fairness
baron

Postby tjweir » Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:57 pm

baron wrote:one could argue that the team could've had the sub on their roster at the beginning of the season and you, as another captain, can't contest it anyway so having them now for 1 game doesn't matter.

In this specific case, the sub was from the previous game and being on a team and a being a sub for another is a roster conflict.

Nevertheless, I acquiesce.
tjweir

Postby Canuck » Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:54 pm

baron wrote:
Canuck wrote:"Substitutes for all leagues MUST be current registered members of TUC.

Note that the rule is for hat leagues (eg: Masters, Parity, Downsview, etc.) only and doesn't apply for leagues with team signups. The reason being that hat leagues strive for balanced teams via some sort of draft and for team leagues, you're naturally going to some strong teams and some weak teams that sign up. If a team gets a really strong sub, one could argue that the team could've had the sub on their roster at the beginning of the season and you, as another captain, can't contest it anyway so having them now for 1 game doesn't matter.

In any case, it comes down to pretty much what you said:
tjweir wrote:there is no official policy and just an assumption of good spirit and fairness

I can see I left the blinders on when reading through the latter half of the policy. Good catch Baron. I'd like to see the policy updated to speak to regular league play as the majority of league play is not in a hat format. Most of the current information on the website has to do with playoffs.
Canuck

Postby GregS » Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:56 pm

Canuck wrote:I'd like to see the policy updated to speak to regular league play as the majority of league play is not in a hat format. Most of the current information on the website has to do with playoffs.

Baron did a nice job of covering why the policy is there specifically for hat leagues. Most of the rules on the site are playoff-specific (and even the hat league is historically largely ignored except during playoffs, at least in Downsview and Masters leagues), because this is where we've had the most issues and complaints in the past. Sucks for Tyler's team to have to play against such a high-level sub in the regular season, but in the grand scheme of things, the ladder system is going to smooth that right out by the end of the season, or if it's a round-robin league it's unlikely to be the one thing that means that they don't end up winning the championship. Finishing first in the regular season is nice, but it's winning the playoffs that gets your photo on the website and a shiny badge on your Zuluru profile.
Did you get that thing I sent you?
GregS
TUC Webmaster

Postby mcgeachy » Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:25 pm

tjweir wrote:Within the Masters League that is currently running at CTS, there is a list of substitutes that are available if a team is short players. There is a process of getting subs approved by the other captain for fairness and seems to be working well.

How does one get added to the list of available subs for Masters CTS?
mcgeachy

Postby tjweir » Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:54 pm

mcgeachy wrote:How does one get added to the list of available subs for Masters CTS?

Those on the current rosters are asked by the captains to opt in or out.
tjweir

Postby GregS » Fri Feb 03, 2017 5:53 pm

mcgeachy wrote:
tjweir wrote:Within the Masters League that is currently running at CTS, there is a list of substitutes that are available if a team is short players. There is a process of getting subs approved by the other captain for fairness and seems to be working well.

How does one get added to the list of available subs for Masters CTS?

Do note the bit of the rule quoted earlier in the thread, emphasis added:
For individual signup (hat) leagues, if a player is unable to make a game, a substitute who is also registered in the hat league may be used.
Did you get that thing I sent you?
GregS
TUC Webmaster

Return to Talk TUC League