View topic - Which rule trumps? Vertical space versus marker fouls.

Which rule trumps? Vertical space versus marker fouls.

Clarify Ultimate Rules and post other useful Ultimate related stuff!

Which rule trumps? Vertical space versus marker fouls.

Postby bwilson » Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:08 am

This came up in a game today. Thrower tries a hammer, marker moves hand up to block it. The block happens right over the marker's head (in her vertical space) but the thrower hasn't released the disc yet. Foul called and contested.

The question is: does the vertical space concept apply always, or only to everyone except the marker?

I guess this has another application - if vertical space does apply to markers then contact involving the markers head would not be a marker foul. Personally, I think it's a little silly that a thrower can smack the marker's head (even if unintentionally) and then call a foul.
bwilson

Postby march » Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:37 am

there's no vertical space when it comes to marking... if the disc wasn't knocked out of thrower's hand then I don't see it as a direct foul, or strip, (assuming the marker only touched the disc), if anything, the thrower might be able to call for disc space because it sounds like the marker was really close.

I don't think it was a foul, and I wouldn't call that. Is there someone who knows more about marking violations confirm or deny what I think?

For the record, principle of verticality is a receiving foul
XVI.H.3.b.3:The Principle of Verticality: All players have the right to enter the air space immediately above their torso to make a play on a thrown disc. If non-incidental contact occurs in the airspace immediately above a player before the outcome of the play is determined (e.g., before possession is gained or an incomplete pass is effected), it is a foul on the player entering the vertical space of the other player.
march

Postby GregS » Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:43 am

The disc was still in the thrower's hand, so it's considered part of the thrower. The marker hit it with their hand. Hitting the thrower with your hand is a defensive foul. No question about it.
Did you get that thing I sent you?
GregS
TUC Webmaster

Return to Ultimate Rules and Tools