View topic - Awarding points while waiting for other team

Awarding points while waiting for other team

Clarify Ultimate Rules and post other useful Ultimate related stuff!

Awarding points while waiting for other team

Postby areacode416 » Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:52 pm

When you take 1 point every 5 minutes if your opponent can't field a team by 7:00pm, do you take the first point at 7:00, or not until 7:05? I found it unclear in the literature I have.

I tried looking it up in the 11th Ed. and VIII A. 4. says:
"If only one team fails to signal readiness for the start of a scheduled game, the opposing team may be awarded goals by the event organizer at a rate of one goal for every five minutes elapsed after the posted start time."

I would interpret that as 7:05 (because of the the word "after"), but intuitively 7:00 is already 30 minutes late (officially), so I'd think that if that's when you're officially considered late, you should get docked starting at 7:00.
areacode416
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:25 pm

Postby Richard K » Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:16 pm

The TUC rules override the UPA rule for this instance (though they are similar). You'll find them in the TUC Default and Game Cancellation Policy:
If one team is not ready to play fifteen minutes after the scheduled start time, then the other team, providing they are ready to play, is allowed to count one point every five minutes thereafter. (e.g. if Team X is ready to play, Team Y is 25 minutes late, score is X=2, Y=0). If a team is not ready to play 45 minutes after the scheduled start time, the game may be considered a win by default for the other team.

Official game start time is 6:45, which means 7:00 is when you may count the first point, the second at 7:05, etc. (This was discussed at the captains meetings way back before the season.) You're allowed to claim a no-show default at 7:30.

(We get the field permits starting at 6:30, and teams are encouraged to begin as quickly after 6:30 as possible, especially when the days get shorter.)
Richard K
 
Posts: 72
Joined: Thu Sep 23, 2004 9:34 am

Postby Mortakai » Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:11 pm

Richard K wrote:The TUC rules override the UPA rule for this instance (though they are similar). You'll find them in the TUC Default and Game Cancellation Policy:
If one team is not ready to play fifteen minutes after the scheduled start time, then the other team, providing they are ready to play, is allowed to count one point every five minutes thereafter. (e.g. if Team X is ready to play, Team Y is 25 minutes late, score is X=2, Y=0). If a team is not ready to play 45 minutes after the scheduled start time, the game may be considered a win by default for the other team.

Official game start time is 6:45, which means 7:00 is when you may count the first point, the second at 7:05, etc. (This was discussed at the captains meetings way back before the season.) You're allowed to claim a no-show default at 7:30.

(We get the field permits starting at 6:30, and teams are encouraged to begin as quickly after 6:30 as possible, especially when the days get shorter.)


I realize this may have been explained differently at the captain's meeting, but the rule quoted doesn't seem to support giving a point at 7:00, but rather that the first point should be awarded at 7:05. The example given of 25 minutes late (i.e., 7:10) and a score of 2-0 (i.e., one point at 7:05 and one point at 7:10) also supports this.

If it was explained/changed at the captain's meeting to award the first point at 7:00 instead of 7:05 as the rule is written, this written rule should probably be revised/updated.
User avatar
Mortakai
 
Posts: 187
Joined: Tue Mar 16, 2004 5:28 pm

Postby areacode416 » Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:35 pm

Mortakai wrote:the rule quoted doesn't seem to support giving a point at 7:00, but rather that the first point should be awarded at 7:05. The example given of 25 minutes late (i.e., 7:10) and a score of 2-0 (i.e., one point at 7:05 and one point at 7:10) also supports this.


I totally agree with Mortakai on this; when I read the official example I also thought it contradicted what you had just said. So I'll go with the first point at 7:00 and then a point every 5 minutes thereafter if that's what you're saying, but to Mortakai's point, it could stand to be corrected/better clarified in the official example given.
areacode416
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:25 pm

Postby Richard K » Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:41 am

No, you guys are right. The first point may be counted at 7:05 (five minutes after not being ready 15 minutes after start time), and the second at 7:10. We should get Jason to clarify the wording so that I can read it properly. :oops:
Richard K
 
Posts: 72
Joined: Thu Sep 23, 2004 9:34 am

Postby larrypmac » Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:06 pm

I'm not sure I agree here. Award the first point at 7:00. Award the second point at 7:05. Since the team is ready at 7:10, start the game without awarding a third point.

Larry
larrypmac
 
Posts: 178
Joined: Thu Apr 06, 2006 7:17 pm

Postby Mortakai » Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:09 pm

larrypmac wrote:I'm not sure I agree here. Award the first point at 7:00. Award the second point at 7:05. Since the team is ready at 7:10, start the game without awarding a third point.


Are you suggesting this is how it should be done, or that this is how the wording as presented should be interpreted? (If the latter, I think this interpretation isn't supported by the "e.g." in the rule).
User avatar
Mortakai
 
Posts: 187
Joined: Tue Mar 16, 2004 5:28 pm

Postby areacode416 » Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:07 pm

I would hope that it's 7:00 that the first point is awarded, otherwise the late team isn't really penalized until they're 20 minutes late.
areacode416
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:25 pm


Return to Ultimate Rules and Tools

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 1 guest

cron