View topic - playing head games to rid the world of ultimate pests

playing head games to rid the world of ultimate pests

Clarify Ultimate Rules and post other useful Ultimate related stuff!

playing head games to rid the world of ultimate pests

Postby allnerdyaboutdisc » Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:33 am

gang,

we have all played against those disruptive ulty people that act like a referee: they make calls when not directly involved in the play, or try to convince a person to make a different call, through bullying or use the line: "i know the rule, i've read the book!'.

what i want to do about this is use their emotions against them. these types of players tend to be ignorant, idiotic and loud (they also seem to be emotionally imbalanced). i realize the futility of reasoning with the likes of that type of character, however i like the idea of fanning the flames through the use of a weak call to further imbalance their precarious emotional stability.

any ideas for headgames that can be played (all within the confines of spirit of the game, of course) would be appreciated.

those people that say just outwork the person for satisfaction blah blah blah: i want to learn more about the game within the game:)
allnerdyaboutdisc

Postby AdamR » Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:16 am

let me get this right, you are saying that a person who might know the correct rule and tries to get everybody on the same page about it is a bad thing. You are then saying that you should make a "weak call" which I read as a bad call, only to upset them? That sounds a bit like the pot calling the kettle black as what you are describing is not very spirited. How about instead of trying "head games" you talk to the person about the rule off the field and get everything sorted out. I know these arguments can get very annoying but knowing the rules is not unspirited.
AdamR

Postby ashunter » Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:39 pm

Hey Greg, or maybe Richard, you get that "Mod -1, Flamebait" button implemented yet?
ashunter
TUC Board of Directors

Postby AdamR » Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:14 am

oh man, I want a button like that!
AdamR

Postby allnerdyaboutdisc » Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:22 am

i was rushed while composing and lack clarity. the person didn't know the rules or what had actually transpired. for example, this person is under the impression that when offense and defense call foul at the same time is a turnover. ie "it is a turnover, i know i've read the rules..."

to be clear, this person doesn't really understand the rules and will say anything to gain an unfair advantage and blow off any flack by saying: oh, i guess i am just a jerk/poopie face etc...

anyways, it isn't like i am saying it is more difficult to pass to a woman compared to a man (it is equally difficult to pass to both), so lay off with the dumb comments. either some of you are good at the headgames or not:)
allnerdyaboutdisc

Postby GwaiLo » Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:33 am

I hate poopie faces....
GwaiLo

Postby tingle » Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:47 am

just might be the first tuc thread that rivals RSD for sheer, dumb entertainment value.
tingle

Postby AdamR » Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:56 pm

alright, I see what you mean. If they are wrong on the call then they shouldn't just be allowed to bully others into changing the call. That being said I think head games are sort of stooping to their level. Why not take the high road and talk to them off the field? I know not all of them will listen but you will be the bigger man for trying.
AdamR

Postby AdamR » Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:57 pm

or woman, I shouldn't specify gender lol
AdamR

Postby Wartank » Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:58 pm

ADAM-
YOU ARE A PREYING MANTIS
YOU WILL NEVER BE BIGGER THAN MAN
"I do not like swimming. It is too much like . . . bathing." - Worf
Wartank

Postby AdamR » Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:02 pm

and on that note I second tingle HA HA HA!
AdamR

Postby allnerdyaboutdisc » Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:19 pm

all right, the high road it is. although, it is fun to petty, sometimes.

anyhoo, i hope this thread had a positive amount of sheer dumb entertainment value.

thanks to judge tingle for taking the high road as well.

tingle, tingle

why would anyone complain about a player that is knoweledgeable about the rools, anyways. please just try to teach me unspirited tactics. maybe my job is to help others overcome stupidity (even if it is my own), as i have overcome my fair share (and must still at this very second) :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
allnerdyaboutdisc

Postby GwaiLo » Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:48 pm

this thread...ummmm....."rools"
GwaiLo

Postby Mortakai » Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:00 pm

no-it-all-rules-guy (yes, a purposeful typo) wrote:"it is a turnover, i know i've read the rules..."

"oh, i guess i am just a jerk/poopie face etc..."

Me: "Well, since you've read the rules, you realize that a jerk/poopie face is not allowed to make calls or suggest resolutions"
Mortakai

Postby allnerdyaboutdisc » Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:34 pm

hhmmmmmmm.... :( this 4um nolongerrules
allnerdyaboutdisc

Postby GregS » Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:33 pm

Some random thoughts on a Friday afternoon...

AdamR wrote:you will be the bigger man for trying

People keep telling me size doesn't matter.

allnerdyaboutdisc wrote:all right, the high road it is. although, it is fun to petty, sometimes.

I have to admit I've had games (one game in particular comes to mind) where I ended up stooping to pettiness because our opponents were just So Very Stupid. I felt bad, and indeed still feel bad over a year later, about how it all turned out, but when they argue legit calls with a reply of "Well your team was late", there's only so much I can take. Yes, we were late, and you therefore had a 2-0 before play began. Our being late doesn't mean that the location of the sideline with respect to your feet changes.

allnerdyaboutdisc wrote:why would anyone complain about a player that is knoweledgeable about the rools, anyways.

You'd have to ask the aforementioned Stupid Opponents why they complained about me.

I hate people that think it's poor spirit to want to play the game according to the actual rules, instead of the mishmash of pseudo-rules they've heard from others, like "Vertical space only applies to women" or "You can't call picks in the end zone". WTFIUWT?
Did you get that thing I sent you?
GregS
TUC Webmaster

Postby tingle » Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:43 pm

you can't call me a judge, there are no judges in ultimate especially when said ultimate involves preying manti. there are only manti who play headgames with other manti, in the hopes that they further imbalance the other mantis' emotional stability, and then eat them while copulating.

whoa, manti are wierd. im done with this sport.
tingle

Postby Mortakai » Fri Aug 29, 2008 6:40 pm

GregS wrote:"You can't call picks in the end zone"

Oh THAT's a new one I haven't heard before.

... *running to grab pen to jot that one down* ...
Mortakai

Postby allnerdyaboutdisc » Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:32 pm

no picks in the endzone. i really like that one:) that is well on the way to gold. having someone randomly yell pick is quite useful, as well. vertical space is one i haven't thought of either. that is nice.

i like the your team was late argument. i don't like to call travel on people because i have to travel, or switch a pivot to throw around a mark. but i will use it...:) how about: if one yells loud enough, the player that stops a pull from rolling has to play the disc.

it is fun to play by the rules. few things are more beautiful than a group of people following custom. i feel happy thinking about those moments of perfection.

tingle, i think the male mantis actually wins, with respect to, the race to have his genetic material passed through to the next generation. go ahead, devour away and ensure the male who wants to be devoured has progeny in the next generation.

as fun as it is to assume that people aren't going to cheat, some players will try to gain the advantage due to ego/insecurity etc. i should know, i have been to the meetings.

not everyone is a cheat, but one reason for democracy is due to mistrust of one person/few people having power over a majority. this is not the only reason for democracy, but it is valid and applicable to frisbee (i think)
allnerdyaboutdisc

Postby josephkrengel » Sat Aug 30, 2008 9:30 am

My personal favourite is the "well we could have made you forfeit, so stop making all these calls."

... of course, that was after they forced us to play 6 on 7. (We won.)
josephkrengel

Postby allnerdyaboutdisc » Sun Aug 31, 2008 4:43 pm

6 vs. 7 and a win. the other team must have been spitting mad. funny how being a player short can make all the difference.

nice misuse of the rules...so sad, yet brilliant with respect to ignorance. it is unfortunate to share oxygen with that person. however, variety is the spice of life.
allnerdyaboutdisc

Postby GregS » Sun Aug 31, 2008 5:05 pm

I once (1999, my first year) played a game 5-on-7, and won handily. We had 6 guys, but only one woman, and the other team was adamant that, because other teams had not shown them any mercy when they were shorthanded, they were not going to show us any either. But, they didn't force us to forfeit. I think we were willing to play 5-on-7, and they probably thought they'd teach us a lesson.

None of us knew anything about how to play zone at that time, but we invented something that worked. We had 3 guys that were defensively responsible, and 3 that were less so. (Those that know me might be surprised to hear that I was one of the responsible ones.) We played in an X formation, with two of the three responsible ones deep and two of the less responsible ones up front. The woman pretty much just stood around in the middle. We never put a mark on the thrower all game long, we gave them just as much time as they wanted to make their throws. When they did, we'd bust our butts to beat the receiver to it. As soon as there was a turnover, we'd huck it long and outrun them to the end zone. (Oh, to be young and fast again. Or even just young....)

I seem to recall that the final score was something in the neighbourhood of 17-9, and they were not happy at all.
GregS
TUC Webmaster

Postby josephkrengel » Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:16 am

Sure is satisfying; even if it doesn't do much to foster great spirit.
josephkrengel

Postby saulrich » Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:33 pm

This thread makes me think about those cases when you've got an ignorant-know-it-all on a team with good-spirited players. You don't really want to penalize the other team for one jack-[in-the-box], and you don't want to waste field time. So in the spirit of stooping to their level (which of course none of use would do in an actual game), how about some calls that don't slow the game down and don't penalize everyone else:

3 Calls to Deal with Rule-Know-It-Alls-Who-Don't-Actually-Know-The-Rules (Or RNIT-AW-DANR's). Important to differentiate from actual rule-know-it-all's who finally have a chance to shine, thanks to ultimate!

3. All competitors must remain 3 metres from the playing field. Just have someone on your own sideline consistently call this rule every time the offending RNIT-AW-DANR is on the sideline, and getting ready to make calls. I'd adjust the distance (ie 3 metres) as necessary, and then claim it's a league specific thing.
2. Violation! Your giant head is impeding my field of vision.
1. No matter what the disagreement, explain to him that he must be thinking of 10th edition, because the rule was definitely changed in 11th. Didn't you know about the change?

I was gonna do more, but then that would make me an RNIT-AW-DANR.
saulrich

Postby AdamR » Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:06 pm

I don't know, number 1 is a bit too easy to call bulls*hit on lol. These know-it-all's often have a pocket version of the rules... or something of that sort.
AdamR

Postby HotSauce » Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:23 pm

saulrich wrote:you've got an ignorant-know-it-all on a team with good-spirited players.

How about just quoting the correct rule and telling the guy/gal to talk to his/her captain? Tell him/her this was discussed and decided upon before the game started. If the captain is worth his/her salt, he/she will tell the person to just shut up.
HotSauce

Postby Chewbacca » Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:02 am

Hahaha!

This reminds me of a game we played this summer. I called for equipment to tie my shoelaces and a girl on the opposing team said calling equipment is no longer in the rules and play continues regardless of equipment call.

I asked weather safety and spirit were in the rules and she said that they took out safety and spirit in the 11th edition rules! :P Good thing that team was moved out of our league and into competitive. They really wanted to win.
Chewbacca

Postby Richard K » Fri Sep 05, 2008 3:17 pm

Chewbacca wrote:I asked weather safety and spirit were in the rules and she said that they took out safety and spirit in the 11th edition rules!

Hmm... it's still rule number 1.B, listed right after the basic description of the game.

As for time to tie shoelaces, it's officially covered by VI.D.2 (Technical timeouts):

VI.D.2. Any player may briefly extend a stoppage of play to correct faulty equipment (e.g., to tie shoelaces or straighten a disc), but active play may not be stopped for this purpose. (Note: Play does not stop during a turnover even if the disc is out-of-bounds.)

However, VI.D.1 sates "Any player recognizing a condition that endangers other players may call a technical time-out during play." (emphasis added) So I guess that means if I think you might trip over your shoelaces, I'm allowed to call a technical timeout, but you can only call it if you think the condition would endanger someone other than yourself?

But in practice, it's good spirit to delay a league game slightly to allow shoelaces to be retied once in a while (just don't halt continued play to do it!).
Richard K

Postby AdamR » Fri Sep 05, 2008 4:28 pm

man, rule number 1.B ... gets me every time...
AdamR

Postby tommythecat » Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:31 pm

Richard K wrote:So I guess that means if I think you might trip over your shoelaces, I'm allowed to call a technical timeout, but you can only call it if you think the condition would endanger someone other than yourself?

As if Joe didn't have enough unfair advantages (can't teach height), now he's allowed to call a technical timeout just to prevent himself from tripping and crushing one of the tiny Monster women to death.
tommythecat

Postby allnerdyaboutdisc » Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:43 am

some guy called middle, after a pull landed outofbounds, then sprinted about 6 yards onto the field and proceeded to huck to an open player. while admitting to not knowing the specific rule, he told me it was his decision where the middle of the field is and he didn't think it was fair to go near a defender to check the disc into play.
allnerdyaboutdisc

Postby Richard K » Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:16 am

allnerdyaboutdisc wrote:some guy called middle, after a pull landed outofbounds, then sprinted about 6 yards onto the field and proceeded to huck to an open player.

Sounds like a travel. VIII.B.6.d.2.b states that the disc must be put into play at the middle of the field if middle was called. VIII.B.10 says in this case "the thrower starts play by touching the disc to the ground after establishing a pivot at the spot on the playing field where the disc is to be put into play." Failure to establish a pivot at the appropriate spot on the field is a travel per XVI.J.

Note that after a middle or brick, the thrower does not have to offer the disc to a defender to check. (I encourage you to not offer the disc to the defender when not required so that players don't mistakenly come to think that the rules calls for a defensive check.)

[edit: added mention of why it's a travel]
Last edited by Richard K on Mon Sep 08, 2008 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Richard K

Postby allnerdyaboutdisc » Mon Sep 08, 2008 12:59 pm

thanks for the tip
allnerdyaboutdisc

Postby GregS » Mon Sep 08, 2008 1:12 pm

allnerdyaboutdisc wrote:some guy called middle, after a pull landed outofbounds, then sprinted about 6 yards onto the field and proceeded to huck to an open player. while admitting to not knowing the specific rule, he told me it was his decision where the middle of the field is and he didn't think it was fair to go near a defender to check the disc into play.

Sounds like maybe he was just playing headgames as a means of fanning the flames through the use of a weak call to further imbalance your precarious emotional stability. :lol:
GregS
TUC Webmaster

Postby allnerdyaboutdisc » Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:25 pm

damn right, my emotional stability collapsed. my hormones were off the chart. poor me, a victim. will someone please help me even the playing field? donations of atavin will be accepted.
allnerdyaboutdisc

Postby AdamBak » Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:36 pm

During a play-off game a few seasons ago a girl on the opposing team laid out low for a disc. The disc hit her hands, she hit the ground and the disc flopped uselessly to the ground. The other team then proceeded to claim that it was not a turnover because she had possession when her knees hit the ground (and even the possession part was questionable...I don't think that disc ever stopped in her hands).

Their whole team was quite adamant about that call, backing up the guy who made it. I was stunned, but our team didn't care enough to argue since it was the first game in the morning.

I guess they were playing by 12th edition football rules...
Sticks?
AdamBak

Postby Chewbacca » Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:13 am

AdamBak wrote:I guess they were playing by 12th edition football rules...

HAHAHAHAHAHA!

That's great!
Chewbacca

Return to Ultimate Rules and Tools