View topic - A hucking pulling clinic of a sort on Sunday Aug 2

A hucking pulling clinic of a sort on Sunday Aug 2

Sharing the Knowledge!

Moderator: ethan_m

A hucking pulling clinic of a sort on Sunday Aug 2

Postby gregorylang » Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:54 pm

I am going to be providing Hucking and Pulling tricks and tips on Sunday August 2nd at 10:30 am - North Toronto Memorial Park (near Yonge and Eglinton) in the NW corner I think.

If anyone would like to come - you are welcome and I won't ignore you but I do have specific people whom i am to assist as they caused this to happen in the first place.

Ideally anyone coming this Sunday is doing so in preparation for Nationals and you are already a player who Pulls (you play defence) and or Hucks (you are a handler)...I am happy to do another for more general purpose and audience later in August if interest is expressed.

If you come - bring as many WHITE discs as you can.

Gregory
gregorylang

Postby Hanuman » Thu Jul 30, 2009 5:42 pm

Hey Greg,
Just wondering what the format for this would be and how long do you expect it to run.
Cheers,
-Mark.
.........................................._o
......................................_`\ \_
.....................................(_)/'(_)
Hanuman

Postby gregorylang » Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:10 am

a couple of hours max.

Pulling and Hucking are two COMPLETELY different throws physically but improving one's ability in the first contributes to higher proficiency in the second.

Pull format will be to first help improve Distance/Time Aloft ratio - grip, torque, aim, wind, and power, and second, to possibly identify each individuals Consistent Optimal so they make better pull choices rather than just Jacking the Disc down the field.

The second part is basically how to maximize the strategic advantage available on the pull given the resources and conditions.

The generally accepted purpose of a pull is to provide the other team with NO Uncontested throws - Sort of interesting because pulling OB provides that almost all the time - while also making them Start from as far away as possible. These combine to change what one should be trying to do in the sense of what is the O field position when throws are first contested by the D.

Pulling into the back of the endzone and allowing 3 free passes forward to 30 yards before the D starts to cover the O is usually much more dangerous than pulling OB with a 30 yard brick. (thankfully teams do the inane and walk to get the OB disc...and walk to put the disc in play at the brick - they should be sprinting, and never mind that a close OB disc should never be middled)

The inputs to a great pull include;
1. distance of the pull
2. time aloft of the pull
3. time to run down for EVERY PLAYER on that line (any open O is a free pass so the person Pulling should not be covering a Handler)

Always try to maximize the first when the second remains greater than the third.

Once you establish your consistent limit of the ratio of these 3 elements, that's where you should pull...or just throw it OB every time. note that 3 is a function of 1 and that the pulling team should already be at FULL SPEED on release at their EZ because THEY ACTUALLY RAN UP during the pull...so for men you could use a speed expectation of 10 m/sand for women i'd probably use 9 m/s.

These give you target Time Aloft:
1 second of TA for every 10 metres(men), 9 metres(women) of distance...assuming your pull is better than half way down the field.

TA table is 9 to 10 seconds to back of endzone and 7 to 8 seconds to front of EZ - you can do your own math.

Conditions impact potential distance and TA so those will be addressed along with increasing TA in general.

Hucking has it's own physical properties so those need to be addressed. Distance - TA - and receiver's time to cover the space are all relevant - anyone who remembers my strategy clinics will recall that this is the offensive flip side of the ABC's that I teach in Zone defense.

A is where the disc is
B is where the disc can be caught
C is where you are on Defense
- and as long as the time it takes you to go from C to B is less than the time it takes the Disc to go from A to B, then the location of the receiver is irrelevant.

The offensive flip side in general but more important in Hucking because of increased error margins is C becomes the receiver(and D is now the defender - i know realize i should have called it the ABD's initially) the only relevance of D is in whether or not you should even attempt the throw. Subject to the relative positioning of C to B you derive the required speed of the disc and therefore type of throw to execute.

Since all the receiver's won't be available for analysis on Sunday - I won't deal with that directly but I will try to teach how to put "a tail" on a huck or long pass. I call it a Tail...it's like a late arriving bounce pass where the disc travels at high speed through the distance and then pulls up at the end and literally hangs in the air for the receiver to run to...I (and many of my past teammates) know that I can do it but I am not certain that I can teach it...but i will try.

Primarily the focus will be How to Jack the disc from a pivot foot under different conditions, and some key practice exercising to improve over time.

o.k. maybe more more than a couple of hours...
does that answer your questions???
gregorylang

Postby c5ho » Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:08 pm

Hey Greg,

I would definitely be interested in something like this if you do it again sometime this month.

Thanks for the pointers!
c5ho

Postby Mikey99 » Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:47 am

I would also be very interested in attending if you run this again.
Mikey99

Re: A hucking pulling clinic of a sort on Sunday Aug 2

Postby @UltiCraig » Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:00 pm

gregorylang wrote:..I am happy to do another for more general purpose and audience later in August if interest is expressed. Gregory

Something in August would be awesome. Thanks for the offer Greg!
Play catch. Invent games. Flat flip flies straight. Tilted flip curves.
@UltiCraig

Postby gregorylang » Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:44 pm

i'll do another clinic asap.

preferences for weeknight vs wknd daytime?? (saturday is out though - i have a practice all day).
gregorylang

Postby lwswong » Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:59 pm

gregorylang wrote:i'll do another clinic asap.

preferences for weeknight vs wknd daytime?? (saturday is out though - i have a practice all day).

gregorylang wrote:I am happy to do another for more general purpose and audience later in August if interest is expressed.

Would love to see this happen again. i've got a preference for monday or tuesday evenings, or sunday afternoons and i would definitely be classified under "general purpose audience" as a non-touring / non-comp player.

thanks for the offer!
lwswong

Postby P.Sleeves » Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:39 pm

Pretty much whenever works for me. Greatly looking forward to it.
P.Sleeves

Postby gregorylang » Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:40 pm

everyone and anyone is welcome...i'll do what i can for all.
Mondays or Sundays are probably the most likely for me.
gregorylang

Postby GregS » Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:46 pm

What about early in the afternoon of Sunday the 13th? Do it somewhere near Lamport stadium, so everyone can head over to heckle and/or play at the Scally's Cup (starting at 5pm) afterwards.
Did you get that thing I sent you?
GregS
TUC Webmaster

Postby nobdyhere » Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:37 am

+1 for me .. that sounds like a good day as i will be downtown for that event.

Keep us posted when you decide on a date.

Thanks,

Jason
GregS wrote:What about early in the afternoon of Sunday the 13th? Do it somewhere near Lamport stadium, so everyone can head over to heckle and/or play at the Scally's Cup (starting at 5pm) afterwards.
nobdyhere

Postby NEG » Thu Sep 03, 2009 3:12 pm

I'd be interested too if this goes ahead.

Leya
NEG

Postby @UltiCraig » Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:57 am

I would like to be there too. Greg's pre Scally's Cup idea sounds good for a date and time.
Play catch. Invent games. Flat flip flies straight. Tilted flip curves.
@UltiCraig

Postby okleydo » Sat Sep 05, 2009 7:47 pm

yea, interested!
okleydo

Postby kynancheng@gmail.com » Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:32 pm

gregorylang,

GregS's idea sounds great. If pre-Scally's works for you on Sunday the 13th, I have a permit for field time at Dufferin Grove Park from 2-4pm, where we usually have a bit of a pickup scrimmage.
http://tinyurl.com/dufferingrovefield

That would be my idea of an awesome day. A bit of throwing clinic + scrimmage -> off to Lamport for Scally's.

Would that work?

EDITED: fixed link.
Last edited by kynancheng@gmail.com on Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kynancheng@gmail.com

Postby GregS » Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:09 pm

GregL is having some difficulties posting to the BBS, so he asked me to confirm that it's a go for 2pm on the 13th (Sunday) at Dufferin Grove.
GregS
TUC Webmaster

Postby kynancheng@gmail.com » Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:50 pm

sweeeet - looking forward to it.
kynancheng@gmail.com

Postby GregS » Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:01 pm

Why, whenever I click your link for the field, do I get redirected to a Home Depot error page?
GregS
TUC Webmaster

Return to Clinics and Player Development