View topic - Why you should not travel to Cuba

Why you should not travel to Cuba

"Rant on your Soapbox" Revived!

Why you should not travel to Cuba

Postby jason » Fri Feb 25, 2005 11:21 am

I never used to feel particularly guilty about supporting a Communist country while visiting Cuba. I felt that my tourist dollars would help their economy and offer some advances to its citizens. And heck, it pisses off Americans to boot!

But it seems that mad-as-a-hatter Castro has decided to prohibit Cubans from accepting gifts, tips, etc. So even less of your tourism dollar will go to help Cubans - something that will make sure I never visit again.
jason

Postby TerryBobJack » Fri Feb 25, 2005 12:07 pm

I'd like to see him try and enforce that rule.
Me fail English? That's unpossible!
TerryBobJack

Re: Why you should not travel to Cuba

Postby Barney_Rubble » Fri Feb 25, 2005 4:49 pm

jason wrote:Castro has decided to prohibit Cubans from accepting gifts, tips, etc. So even less of your tourism dollar will go to help Cubans - something that will make sure I never visit again.

It didn't pose any problems when I was there last week ... we even went into Havana to drop off gifts for relatives of a friend. They make it hard to do it in US dollars but Canadian or Convertable Pesos are happily accepted.
Barney_Rubble

Communism

Postby mikadoodle » Tue Mar 01, 2005 3:57 pm

Is Castro any worse than Bush? Castro's Cuba is not communist, never has been and never will be. It's funny how quickly your minds go from the Tsunami to some other flavour of the week. Has everything been repaired in Indonesia and Sri Lanka?
mikadoodle

Postby Hanuman » Wed Mar 02, 2005 2:13 pm

Has everything been repaired in Indonesia and Sri Lanka?

That's going to take years to do. Even then, some communities may be lost forever.
.........................................._o
......................................_`\ \_
.....................................(_)/'(_)
Hanuman

Re: Communism

Postby beachbum » Wed Mar 02, 2005 3:42 pm

Dewey wrote:Is Castro any worse than Bush?
I'll field that one: Castro is Albert Schweitzer compared to Bush!!
beachbum

repairs

Postby mikadoodle » Wed Mar 02, 2005 4:14 pm

I just meant in asking if Sri Lanka and Indonesia have been repaired that people often forget all about these issues after a month or so. Look at Darfur, there is genocide and famine, yet do we know anything or pay much attention to it? How about problems in our our country?? When was the last time any attention was paid to those kids in Northern Labrador who were addicted to sniffing glue and paint fumes? Sometimes, our attention span and care for the rest of the world is a joke. We tend to call ourselves humanitarians, but realistically we just help when it is fashionable. It's really quite sad that our aid is determined by the media mandate.
mikadoodle

Re: repairs

Postby TerryBobJack » Wed Mar 02, 2005 5:18 pm

Dewey wrote:I just meant in asking if Sri Lanka and Indonesia have been repaired that people often forget all about these issues after a month or so. Look at Darfur, there is genocide and famine, yet do we know anything or pay much attention to it? How about problems in our our country?? When was the last time any attention was paid to those kids in Northern Labrador who were addicted to sniffing glue and paint fumes? Sometimes, our attention span and care for the rest of the world is a joke. We tend to call ourselves humanitarians, but realistically we just help when it is fashionable. It's really quite sad that our aid is determined by the media mandate.

So that's where my conscience went. You're opening a whole philisophical can 'o worms.

A lot of money was given to aid agencies for the Tsunami relief. The immediate threats are being dealt with and rebuilding is well under way. The media still covers it, albeit not 24/7 anymore. Realistically, what more is there for us to do at this point?

As for Darfur, it was grassroots action that brought the problem to the media's attention not vice versa. It was grassroots effort that got Talisman out of Sudan, not such a fashionable cause.

The kids sniffing glue were given treatment and a whole new town and yet they still sniff. It seems to me that they've been given the tools to overcome the problems. At what point does it go from us not being "humanitarian" enough to people not taking responsibility for their own actions/communities. We could dump millions of dollars there but if they're not going to help themselves nothing we will can help.

Don't get me wrong I think the media in Canada and the US are as trustworthy as used car salesmen but please delve a little deeper into the problems before laying a guilt trip on us.
Me fail English? That's unpossible!
TerryBobJack

Re: repairs

Postby Nigel » Thu Mar 03, 2005 3:56 pm

TerryBobJack wrote:The kids sniffing glue were given treatment and a whole new town and yet they still sniff. It seems to me that they've been given the tools to overcome the problems. At what point does it go from us not being "humanitarian" enough to people not taking responsibility for their own actions/communities. We could dump millions of dollars there but if they're not going to help themselves nothing we will can help

This has some useful background on the topic. Effectively the Cdn govt destroyed their old nomadic culture through a combination of (unfulfilled) promises and threats. Now that their society is utterly dysfunctional, blaming them as individuals for not responding to our recent generosity seems to me to be a case of overlooking our government's involvement in creating the mess. I vaguely remember their situation as being an example of Durkheim's anomie from the odd polisci theory class. Sure it's a waste of money - but it doesn't mean it's a case of throwing good money after bad, but a case of DIANDnot settling up adequate checks and balances from the beginning.
Nigel

Postby beachbum » Thu Mar 03, 2005 4:31 pm

This is not a cultural issue, it's a medical/psychological issue. And it's person-specific. If you want to throw anything at them, throw medical and psychological treatment and counselling.

Round up all the homeless grate-dwellers in this town, ship 'em to a shelter and see how many return to their grates. Sure you're easing your conscience by providing them shelter but it's their choice as to whether or not they'll stay.

As the old addage goes, you can lead a horse to water...

And don't even get me started on the plight of of the Native North American, or indigenous populations around the globe. As a male of WASP descent, I have a lot of history that I'm ashamed of.

And don't even get me started on Western society locking up addicts to "reform" them and so they can "repay their debt to society". Makes me sick. Talk about curing the disease by killing the patient!

One day we'll evolve. I hope!
beachbum

Postby Nigel » Thu Mar 03, 2005 6:30 pm

homeless grate-dwellers
If it's anything like Kuujjuaq (the closest town to this that I've personally visited), they don't have grates - although point taken.
Nigel

Return to Rant and Rave!