View topic - How come ...

How come ...

"Rant on your Soapbox" Revived!

How come ...

Postby Wunder Woman » Tue Jun 21, 2005 12:19 pm

Why is it that 9 times out of 10 when I'm signed in as me, and then check out the different forums I end up being signed in as someone else when I try to go back to the main TUC Forum index??? Anyone???

That doesn't really maintain the privacy of our individual members very well does it???
~ Go hard or go home ~
Wunder Woman

Postby lennox » Wed Jun 22, 2005 10:38 am

No it doesn't.

However, recently I have found myself logged out each and everytime I hit the main page! What is the darn point of remembering who I am if I'm going to be logged out all the time? Man, I can't believe nobody has figured this problem out yet or we haven't upgraded the BBS software. It seems like something that other BBSes would notice and offer the fix/upgrade.

Oh well... my solution is to visit the BBS less and less. I'm still not getting any more work done than normal though ;)
lennox

Postby Hanuman » Thu Jun 23, 2005 10:31 am

However, recently I have found myself logged out each and everytime I hit the main page!

I too have found this to be a common occurrence.... what a pain in the behind. I find that if you clear your cache this doesn't happen.
.........................................._o
......................................_`\ \_
.....................................(_)/'(_)
Hanuman

Postby GregS » Thu Jun 23, 2005 10:41 am

I think that this problem may be fixed in the latest version of the software. 2.0.15 is considered by phpbb to be a "critical update" which fixes security holes (like maybe, I dunno, being logged in as someone else?) but we're still using 2.0.11 here. I've had an email exchange about this with the TUC webmaster. He tells me that it's the host (ITSportsNet) that needs to update, and that they have "opened a support ticket" to get it done. That was about a month ago. Maybe we should start an email campaign to ITSportsNet? Security updates of installed software should be a top priority of any responsible web hosting company.
GregS
TUC Webmaster

Postby beachbum » Thu Jun 23, 2005 12:30 pm

Geek.

I, for one, love logging on as BC and anonymously slagging him. However, I still have no qualms doing it unanonymously (is that a word?).

For instance, to quote Country:
Uh, hey, everybody! I'm a stupid moron with an ugly face and big butt and my butt smells and I like to kiss my own butt.

At least, I think that was BC. Might've been Moe. I dunno.
beachbum

Postby Ladida » Thu Jun 23, 2005 12:47 pm

recently I have found myself logged out each and everytime I hit the main page!

The thing that kills me is that when I want to end my session... I usually have to hit the log out button twice cause it doesn't work the first time. :wink:
Ladida

Return to Rant and Rave!