View topic - can anyone explain "24"?

can anyone explain "24"?

"Rant on your Soapbox" Revived!

can anyone explain "24"?

Postby Wartank » Mon Feb 27, 2006 5:03 am

i don't get this show. Admittedly, i only started watching in the 4th season, but i had to quickly stop because it was so inane.

the show is simply a thinly veiled rewriting of hardy boys novels, with all of the repeated contrivances for regular cliffhangers.

for example, THREE times in the first 3rd of the 4th season, operatives in the CTU (counter-terrorist unit), lead temporarily by the US secretary of defence, had to break into some facility to retrieve information *critial to the survival of mass populations*. of course, they only have X agents to spare. when they get to the site, they are ambushed by X+1 terrorist agents and then overwhelmed/shot at/captured/killed.

You'd think that the secretary of defence and/or the CTU has some authority in getting local police, or army, or swat, or whatever, to help in these cases. but no. and again they're in mortal peril and the world hangs in the balance.

If the whole point of the show is just to turn off your brain, or dial up the suspension of disbelief.. fine, that's okay.. but why all the accolades? when's the last time an Underworld: Evolution won an oscar?
"I do not like swimming. It is too much like . . . bathing." - Worf
Wartank

Re: can anyone explain "24"?

Postby ashunter » Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:06 am

Wartank wrote: they only have X agents to spare. when they get to the site, they are ambushed by X+1 terrorist agents and then overwhelmed/shot at/captured/killed.

I don't watch much TV, but it's interesting that shows have from formula based plots to induction proof plots.
ashunter
TUC Board of Directors

Postby lukefraser » Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:57 am

ashunter wrote:
Wartank wrote: they only have X agents to spare. when they get to the site, they are ambushed by X+1 terrorist agents and then overwhelmed/shot at/captured/killed.

I don't watch much TV, but it's interesting that shows have from formula based plots to induction proof plots.

I don't think the induction based plots work here, because it won't be true for the base case. If for X=1 agent it's got to be Keiffer Sutherland, in which case I'm guessing he can kill X+1=2 bad guys. Though I don't watch the show, I just enjoy talking about induction proofs.
lukefraser

Postby rchaos » Mon Feb 27, 2006 3:09 pm

Are you guys sober when watching 24?

I suggest some kind of mind altering drug to enhance your experience. I like the gelatin capsule kind because they are pleasant to the eye and easy to swallow. I also like the sudsy kind that comes in a brown (sometimes clear) bottle.

p.s. I would highly recommend this tactic to enhance your pleasure while watching other choice prime time shows as well (e.g. How I Met your Mother, Fear Factor, and of course...Dancing with Celebrities). Happy watching!
rchaos

Postby jason » Mon Feb 27, 2006 3:30 pm

If you're in the mood for some awesome television, catch Rollergirls.
jason

Postby Wartank » Mon Feb 27, 2006 3:59 pm

spuke4000 wrote:I don't think the induction based plots work here, because it won't be true for the base case. If for X=1 agent it's got to be Keiffer Sutherland, in which case I'm guessing he can kill X+1=2 bad guys. Though I don't watch the show, I just enjoy talking about induction proofs.

Actually, I saw little evidence that in ambush-type situations, keifer had any more success than any Y, where Y is defined as any agent number from 1 to infinity, but not equal to keifer.

However, in 'escape' scenarios, keifer's power output rises to X+1, where X=number of bad guys, so that he has just barely enough power to overcome any challenge he's faced with.

I don't like watching the show OR talking about induction proofs.
Wartank

Postby march » Mon Feb 27, 2006 5:26 pm

1. When Jack Bauer watches a pot, it boils immediately.
2. If Jack Bauer was in a room with Hitler, Stalin, and Nina Meyers, and he had a gun with 2 bullets, he’d shoot Nina twice.
3. Upon hearing that he was played by Kiefer Sutherland, Jack Bauer killed Sutherland. Jack Bauer gets played by no man.
4. 1.6 billion Chinese are angry with Jack Bauer. Sounds like a fair fight.
5. Jack Bauer can hit two birds with no stones.
6. Jack Bauer once forgot where he put his keys. He then spent the next half-hour torturing himself until he gave up the location of the keys.
7. Jack Bauer was never addicted to heroin. Heroin was addicted to Jack Bauer.
8. Jack Bauer is the leading cause of death in Middle Eastern men.
9. Jack Bauer played Russian Roulette with a fully loaded gun and won.
10. You can lead a horse to water. Jack Bauer can make him drink.
11. When life gave Jack Bauer lemons, he used them to kill terrorists. Jack Bauer hates lemonade.
12. Jack Bauer doesn’t miss. If he didn’t hit you it’s because he was shooting at another terrorist twelve miles away.
13. Jack Bauer would laugh in the face of danger, but Jack Bauer doesn’t laugh.
14. Jack Bauer killed 93 people in just 4 days time. Wait, that is a real fact.
15. Jack Bauer’s favorite color is severe terror alert red. His second favorite color is violet, but just because it sounds like violent.
16. Jack Bauer once won a game of Connect 4 in 3 moves.
17. When you open a can of whoop-ass, Jack Bauer jumps out.
18. Killing Jack Bauer doesn’t make him dead. It just makes him angry.
19. Jack Bauer got Hellen Keller to talk.
20. In 96 hours, Jack Bauer has killed 93 people and saved the world 4 times. What have you done with your life?
21. When the boogie man goes to sleep, he checks his closet for Jack Bauer.
22. When Google can’t find something, it asks Jack Bauer for help.
23. Superman wears Jack Bauer pajamas.

shamelessly taken from another site
march

Postby beachbum » Tue Feb 28, 2006 1:46 pm

I think Chuck Norris is going to be pissed off at your shameless substituting of his name for Jack Bauer's.

Warren, so much shite on TV, so little time. I've got two words for you: Denny Crane!
beachbum

Postby march » Tue Feb 28, 2006 3:47 pm

I know, I know, but chuck isn't the only tough around (not to mention, I'm not the one who substituted the names, I just stole them from somewhere else)

not to mention, I don't want to take credit for it... I'm a 24 hater
march

Postby Hanuman » Tue Feb 28, 2006 5:55 pm

I think Chuck Norris is going to be pissed off at your shameless substituting of his name for Jack Bauer's.

Funny funny...

http://66.111.201.60/chuck/index.php?topthirty
.........................................._o
......................................_`\ \_
.....................................(_)/'(_)
Hanuman

Postby italianshower » Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:03 pm

I was with you on Quiznos...... But how dare you rip into Jack Bauer.

You've got balls, and he may be looking to take them from you after such a post.

I mean what's not to get?

Jack Bauer is a bad as$ mutha fuk@, and without him the US would be doomed. Plus, at the end of each hour of his life there is a major climax which demands that you see what happens in the next.

And I liked the Hardy boy novels..... why not turn it into a more violent TV show.

With all the crap on TV now, this should be the last show to get a Rant or Rave.

Just look at the alternatives...... VJ search? Survivor XXVII? WWE? Apprentice?

24 is the only break from going CSI,Law&Order.... Back to Back to Back..........

I would hide if I were you...... you are certainly a marked man.
when Masta P was sayin uhhhhhhhhhhh!!!
italianshower

Postby Hanuman » Thu Mar 02, 2006 1:50 pm

Looking forward to "Pros versus Joes" on Spike TV
http://www.spiketv.com/#shows/prosvsjoes/index.jhtml
.........................................._o
......................................_`\ \_
.....................................(_)/'(_)
Hanuman

Postby march » Thu Mar 02, 2006 2:53 pm

I think that with the except of one, maybe two, guys, the pros are gonna spank the Joes, not to mention the Joes are facing retired Pros. So the show should really be calls "Joes vs Used to be Pros"

oh and by the way... Jack Bauer is a pansy!
march

Postby Wartank » Thu Mar 02, 2006 3:11 pm

stef.. ... you're serious, aren't you?

like i said, i have nothing against mindless entertainment if that's what it is... but don't give me the 'it's great compared to all the other crap on TV' argument.

i had a friend who was in jail. and every day he took a shower, he got sodomized. can i joke about sodomy here? i mean not joke. this is a real story. ....anyway, so one day, he goes and takes a shower, and he only gets punched a few times in the face. and so he emails me and he says "hey man, i got punched in the shower today! it was great!"
so i said "getting punched isn't great"
and he said "it's better than getting sodomized"
me: "..."
him: "maybe i just shouldn't shower!"
me: "maybe you shouldn't be in jail!!"

so..

what was i talking about?
Wartank

Postby HotSauce » Thu Mar 02, 2006 3:34 pm

Warren, I think I saw that episode of Oz. It was great.
HotSauce

Postby italianshower » Thu Mar 02, 2006 4:37 pm

Yes you are right, though being punched in the face is better than being sodomized, they do both suck.

I'm just saying of all the possible things to rant about how does being punched in the face surface before the whole sodomy thing. Maybe because sodomy is such an epidemic right now, and everyone is doin it. (substitute Sodomy for 24, and punched for all other $hitty shows)

anyhow, I am serious..... I love that show........ I can't wait till next monday.,,,, 2 hours of his life!!! bonus...

I'm also serious about you watching your back........
If I were you I'd hope he only exposes you to the syntox gas to keep the torture down.
when Masta P was sayin uhhhhhhhhhhh!!!
italianshower

Postby beachbum » Thu Mar 02, 2006 5:33 pm

Who dares disparage Survivor?!?! That's one of only two shows worth watching nowadays. The other being, of course, Boston Legal.

Denny Crane!
beachbum

Postby Wartank » Thu Mar 02, 2006 5:44 pm

buddhalicious wrote:Warren, I think I saw that episode of Oz. It was great.

?? are you saying that my only friends are the people i see on television? because i told you not to tell anyone that.

And lionel -- no one knows what you're talking about. i'm sorry. You're in the justice department right? so you watch legal shows. I, on the other hand, try to only watch shows about people posting on bbs's. And rahil watches beginner ultimate.
Wartank

Return to Rant and Rave!