View topic - Safety issue at Cedarvale Upper

Safety issue at Cedarvale Upper

"Rant on your Soapbox" Revived!

Safety issue at Cedarvale Upper

Postby rchaos » Wed Jun 28, 2006 11:36 pm

I realize that finding fields in the city to play our glorious sport is a very difficult and thankless task. However, Cedarvale Upper is so unsuitable for athletic sport that I have to rant about it. From what I understand, the upper field area at Cedarvale was at one point a landfill of some sort, perhaps where remnants of the subdivision construction were left, I don't know. But there are a lot of hazardous materials buried in the ground there. In a span of one half, a guy on my team dove for a disc and sliced his leg on a rock, then later he slipped while playing in the cup and landed with his knee on a small rock.

Does anyone else feel the same way about this field? Can we find a decent replacement somewhere? A field that has more grass than holes/concrete chunks/daredevil marker discs?

I mean we have $72,500 available in the "Fields Fund", what is that money earmarked for? Could we spend some money and have a crew go to the Upper field and dig up readily visible concrete blocks and repack some dirt and throw on a little bit of grass?
rchaos

Postby GregS » Thu Jun 29, 2006 2:52 am

Make sure that you send an Incident Report about the events. My understanding is that there have been incident reports already about Cedarvale Upper, and the league has contacted the field owner (the city?) to discuss how we can get this resolved. More incident reports provide the league with more ammunition in dealing with the problem.

If you ask Ian not to schedule you to play there any more, I'm sure he'll do his best to accomodate you, but don't be too surprised if you find yourself in Etobicoke or Scarborough (not through vindictiveness, but because there are few central fields and lots out on the perimeter).

I believe that there are a lot of people who would rather play on Cedarvale Upper (maybe with 7 marker discs, as we had last week) than endure long drives. Of course, the ideal is to have nice fields that are also central, and we're doing what we can to make that happen, but bureaucracy moves slowly, and the middle of the summer isn't a good time to do field maintenance. If all goes well, this (and other) field issues will be resolved by next spring, but without incident reports, we don't know what needs fixing.

Please note that this is my opinion, and doesn't represent any special "executive council" knowledge. For example, it may be that discussions are well advanced, and field repairs will happen sooner rather than later. Or maybe not. When in doubt, I prefer to set expectations low and beat them, than set them high and fail to meet them.
Did you get that thing I sent you?
GregS
TUC Webmaster

Postby TerryBobJack » Thu Jun 29, 2006 11:09 am

If your same guy fell twice, perhaps it's his footwear that is the problem? Still Cedarvale is not a great field, but we don't have many options. The City would be unlikely to allow field repair by TUC or any other organization due to liability issues.
Me fail English? That's unpossible!
TerryBobJack

Postby rchaos » Thu Jun 29, 2006 12:40 pm

The first time was a quasi-layout. Second time, he legitimately slipped, but it was raining pretty hard last night. The point is we should be able to fall, layout, slip, whatever, on any TUC field and not have to be worried about hitting rock.

I know it's hard to find good fields, particularly in the city, and trust me, I hate complaining about this field (since I live about 5Km from there), but there must be a solution to this problem, if not this summer, then certainly for next year. I played a game at Cedarvale upper last summer, and there has not been any improvement in its condition.

Bottom line is: the safety of our members should come first, followed closely by enjoyment level. And in my opinion, standards are not met for either factor at Cedarvale Upper.

I'll send in my incident report, but I sincerely hope that some action will come of it. It's only a matter of time before someone really hurts themselves out there.
rchaos

Postby Lari » Thu Jun 29, 2006 4:02 pm

After playing at Cedarvale Upper for the last two weeks, a drive to Etobicoke might be welcomed...

It's not only the rocks and holes or the lack of grass on the field. There is an uphill end and a downhill end and one endzone tapers off downhill... I have enough problems with upwind and downwind :wink: Lastly, the entire field surface can be described as uneven at best. It's very hard to make a good deep run or to get any sure footing.

As a player trying to "return to sport" after an injury, I am very hesitant to play on Cedarvale Upper.

That being said, we haven't had any serious injuries in the last two weeks, but I'm not one to tempt fate.
Lari

Postby lennox » Wed Jul 05, 2006 4:18 pm

I would bet that the majority of the BOD, etc. know that Cedarvale Upper is dangerous. If they don't know, then they just play there anymore. But, fyi, it hasn't changed since the last time they played there.

We all understand that this is one of the occasions where TUC makes a sacrifice in order to accomodate more teams.

However, being someone who has to drive billions of kms to get to games anyway, I would love to play on a field that is worth the drive. (no, I don't want to play in acton).

Anyway, this is something that needs to be dealt with. To the best of my knowledge, we've always played there and it's always been crap. It's time to do something about it. I honestly think it needs to be taken out of the rotation due to the safety implications.
There is no finish line.
lennox

Return to Rant and Rave!