View topic - Worst thing about Zuluru

Worst thing about Zuluru

Announcements, complaints and other discussion about all aspects of our website.

Worst thing about Zuluru

Postby GregS » Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:46 pm

To go with the favourite thing thread, it's important to hear what's not so good. These might be minor things that bug you every single time you use the site, features that are missing one key piece, or things that are just plain missing entirely. Anything that keeps the site from being as useful to you as it could be is fair game!
Did you get that thing I sent you?
GregS
TUC Webmaster

Postby Mottzky » Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:39 pm

Attendance tracking feature is awesome!
Perhaps during registration, in a new season, could this be incorporated immediately, so 'slow' captains (like me) don't forget to register for it?
Mottzky

Postby GwaiLo » Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:40 pm

one small suggestion for possible improvement...

I love the modifications to the roster management. One area that I've always found frustrating (with Leaguerunner & Zuluru) is when you want to add someone to a roster, and you search for them by name, but it's a common name. A list shows up with various people all with the same name. The pop-up with mouse-over in Zuluru is great....if people actually have info in their profile...especially if they have a picture. Most don't have a picture though, and many do not have a completed profile. So you have to actually click on their name, to bring up their current teams and team history in order to find out if they are the right person. When you click the name, and figure out that you didn't get the right one, you have to start the search over from scratch, since hitting "back" just brings you back to the initial search page, rather than the search results that you previously pulled up. This can be tedious if you're looking to add someone with a really common name, like "Garlock" for example.

This is really just a minor frustration. Not a big deal. But since you were asking...

Possible solutions:
1) Include some team info (current teams maybe, so it's a short list) in the pop-up when you mouse-over the person's name from the list that comes up as search results.
2) Include an "invite to team" button when you view a person's profile. this would then prompt you to select which team to invite them to once clicked. That way once you find the right person, it's just one click away when you are in their profile.
3) Allow the "back" function to work without having to re-search each time
GwaiLo

Postby GwaiLo » Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:48 pm

one more thing...

With the mouse-over feature on the MOBILE site. When you click a team name for example, it brings up the mouse-over stuff, but then continues along to the clicked link. If you hit "back", the mouse-over stuff is still there, and there's no way to get rid of it.

Possible Solutions:
1) have an "x" option in the mouse-over windows to allow you to close them
2) don't hit the back button :p
GwaiLo

Postby GwaiLo » Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:02 pm

ah sh!t...might as well keep going...

Attendance tracking. AWESOME idea. Love that it's all in one place / one site. But have still been using HappyTC as it has a few key features that I find useful as a captain.

1) Allowing players to put a comment with their reply (example: "massage booked until 6pm, will be at game, but might be a little late")
2) For "substitute" players - this one might not apply to every team. But I figured I would mention anyway. Some people might get offended thinking "why was Greg invited to sub before I was?". Maybe subs can still update as it currently allows "available / unavailable", but if you're on a roster as a sub, you can't see who has been invited / not invited to sub, unless it's you? Dunno....this is kind of a weird one and probably not much of a priority / or not a thing to change at all. Probably the later. But anyway...just throwing it out there. In HappyTC, I usually just don't add email addresses for subs, and I manage their status for each game myself, once I get replies from them. That way nobody gets offended. Maybe there's other captains that worry about people's feelings too.
Maybe Not. Ha ha.
3) What about when you get someone to sub that isn't on your roster? you want people to be able to see that you're covered for subs, but can't show it without adding them.
GwaiLo

Postby GregS » Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:14 am

GwaiLo wrote:With the mouse-over feature on the MOBILE site. When you click a team name for example, it brings up the mouse-over stuff, but then continues along to the clicked link. If you hit "back", the mouse-over stuff is still there, and there's no way to get rid of it.

Possible Solutions:
1) have an "x" option in the mouse-over windows to allow you to close them
2) don't hit the back button :p

On browsers recognized as being mobile devices, you should now get a little "popup" icon to the left of anything with a popup available. Click this and you'll get the popup, click it again and it will go away. Popups will NOT appear when you click the normal links (e.g. team names). This implementation is not quite perfect, but it's better than the old method, and I think it's better than Darren's suggested behaviour...

Previous popup behaviour is retained for all non-mobile browsers. Note that it has nothing to do with whether you're using tuc.org vs m.tuc.org, it's based on how your browser identifies itself.
GregS
TUC Webmaster

Postby GregS » Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:15 am

Mottzky wrote:Attendance tracking feature is awesome!
Perhaps during registration, in a new season, could this be incorporated immediately, so 'slow' captains (like me) don't forget to register for it?

Oops, I neglected to mention that I got this feature in a couple of weeks ago.
GregS
TUC Webmaster

Postby GregS » Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:23 am

GwaiLo wrote:One area that I've always found frustrating (with Leaguerunner & Zuluru) is when you want to add someone to a roster, and you search for them by name, but it's a common name. A list shows up with various people all with the same name. The pop-up with mouse-over in Zuluru is great....if people actually have info in their profile...especially if they have a picture. Most don't have a picture though, and many do not have a completed profile.

It occurred to me that up until recently, the pop-up shown on the search results page might not have shown you email addresses unless they were published, but with the "load-on-demand" changes, you should also get to see their email address if they're currently on a team that you captain. Not by any means a complete solution to your issue, but perhaps a bit of help, as people are quite often populating new teams with people from their old teams. Then again, if you're doing that, you should be using the "add from team" option and invite a few people at once instead of doing individual searches.

The search results get lost when you click on someone and then return, because they're filled in with an Ajax request, to make paging through them faster. If you hold down Ctrl when you click the link, it'll open in a new tab (or you can right-click the link and select "open in new tab"), then when you close that, the search results are still right there.

Of course, the real solution is for everybody to just upload a picture, already! Honestly. We've had this capability for almost a year now.
GregS
TUC Webmaster

Postby ashunter » Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:38 pm

I find that the mobile version doesn't display well on the built in Blackberry Browser. I haven't tried this since the fall though, so maybe it is fixed. If you're at Lamport today maybe I'll have the chance to show you what I mean.

All the data is there, and it's still usable, but a bit awkward. And it's kind of a niche user group.
ashunter
TUC Board of Directors

Postby GregS » Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:44 pm

ashunter wrote:I find that the mobile version doesn't display well on the built in Blackberry Browser. I haven't tried this since the fall though, so maybe it is fixed. If you're at Lamport today maybe I'll have the chance to show you what I mean.

All the data is there, and it's still usable, but a bit awkward. And it's kind of a niche user group.

Sorry, missed you today. Do you mean that the popups don't look right, or the entire site? I've heard that the BB browser is a little on the weak side. Anyone else with BB TUC site experiences to share?
GregS
TUC Webmaster

Postby rahil_s » Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:14 am

ashunter wrote:I find that the mobile version doesn't display well on the built in Blackberry Browser. I haven't tried this since the fall though, so maybe it is fixed. If you're at Lamport today maybe I'll have the chance to show you what I mean.

Buy an Iphone. Problem Solved.
rahil_s

Return to TUC Website