View topic - Bulk "add to roster"

Bulk "add to roster"

Announcements, complaints and other discussion about all aspects of our website.

Bulk "add to roster"

Postby GregS » Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:36 pm

I've just uploaded a change that gives captains an option to add a group of players to their roster all at once. This is aimed primarily at people that have a similar roster to a previous team. I know, not quite in time to be as useful as it might be this spring, but better late than never, right?

On the "add player" screen, you'll now get a drop-down list of your past teams. Select the team and click the "show roster" button. You'll get a list of checkboxes for people that were on that team but aren't yet on your current roster, just check off the ones you want and click "invite". They'll all automatically get added to your roster and sent an email informing them of the invite, as if you'd invited them individually.

You may also get a list of people that haven't yet registered for this year. This saves you from searching for them and clicking "add" only to get the "only registered players may be added" error message.

I've tried this out, and it all seems to work, but there may be odd corners that I haven't exercised. Let me know if you have any problems with it, or any suggestions for improving it.
Did you get that thing I sent you?
GregS
TUC Webmaster

Postby GwaiLo » Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:45 pm

Sweet! This is a great addition.
GwaiLo

Postby redi42 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:09 pm

This is indeed a great feature. I heard a rumor that it had gotten even better, and that you could add your entire past roster even before they had registered (they would then get reminders that they should register).

I tested it, and I could indeed add people who hadn't registered, but only one by one. Still a big improvement though.
redi42

Postby GregS » Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:15 pm

Sorry, haven't quite gotten to that page just yet, but it should be done some time next week.
GregS
TUC Webmaster

Postby GregS » Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:27 pm

GregS wrote:it should be done some time next week.

Just under the wire! Adding groups of non-members from the "add from previous team" page now works, with all the same caveats associated with adding them via a search.
GregS
TUC Webmaster

Postby redi42 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:16 pm

I have trouble every year with getting enough people to sign up for their $70 tuc membership..my teammates like to put this off as long as possible.

I love the auto-email that goes out to non-members when you "bulk add" your previous year's roster, since it prompts people to sign up.

I understand that this currently gets sent once, when the captain first adds a player to the roster. As a future feature request, it would be great to have "resend reminder email" button that re-emails everyone who still hasn't signed up.

Greg, if this is an easy addition, I bet there are a lot of slacker teams like mine who would also benefit (not to mention TUC's bank account, which would get these player fees faster)

Chuck
redi42

Postby lwswong » Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:19 pm

definitely agree that it makes things a lot easier on the captains with this feature.

I would also love to see a feature where we can add players based on an email address. (great for new players to TUC).

I'm thinking this email might have a link and instructions to register a new player account, and also the introductory fee as well.
lwswong

Postby GregS » Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:29 pm

cobra wrote:I have trouble every year with getting enough people to sign up for their $70 tuc membership..my teammates like to put this off as long as possible.

I love the auto-email that goes out to non-members when you "bulk add" your previous year's roster, since it prompts people to sign up.

I understand that this currently gets sent once, when the captain first adds a player to the roster. As a future feature request, it would be great to have "resend reminder email" button that re-emails everyone who still hasn't signed up.

Anyone who hasn't accepted the invitation to join will get an automatic reminder email after a week. After a second week, they'll get another one, this time with the captain(s) CCed. Two days after that, the invitation will be removed (after which you can re-invite them and re-start the whole process). So, in a way, there is a "resend reminder email" button, except that it's hidden, and pressed automatically for you. :lol:
lwswong wrote:I would also love to see a feature where we can add players based on an email address. (great for new players to TUC).

I'm thinking this email might have a link and instructions to register a new player account, and also the introductory fee as well.

This one is harder. We can (currently) only add existing users to teams; there has to be an ID number to go in the database. And based on my experience with making attendance tracking work for games that don't exist yet, putting an email "placeholder" in there to be matched later (assuming that they sign up using the same email address that you know for them; who has only a single email address these days?) could be quite tricky.

For those captains who have one or more brand new players joining TUC, we would love to get feedback from them (directly or through you) about difficulties they had and/or what can be done to make the signup process easier or more clear. We're always striving to make the entire site (not just Zuluru) a better resource for all levels of player.
GregS
TUC Webmaster

Postby redi42 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:23 pm

Anyone who hasn't accepted the invitation to join will get an automatic reminder email after a week. After a second week, they'll get another one, this time with the captain(s) CCed. Two days after that, the invitation will be removed (after which you can re-invite them and re-start the whole process). So, in a way, there is a "resend reminder email" button, except that it's hidden, and pressed automatically for you

Nice, I didn't realize it got resent...very, very useful. Thanks Greg!
redi42

Return to TUC Website