View topic - Gender Blender

Gender Blender

Post all your ultimate tournament news here.

Gender Blender

Postby Giles » Fri Mar 24, 2006 5:40 pm

GENDER BLENDER X
June 2 - 4, 2006 (including Friday night party)
lovely Fergus, Ontario (1hr west of Toronto)

It’s the tenth Blender and we’re all revved up to continue the tradition of this revered co-ed tournament. Each team constructs its own themed party site and potent blended drink on Friday night. We’re looking for 40 co-ed teams and we’d love to see some new faces and welcome back old friends from Ann Arbor, Boston, Boulder, Chicago, Cinncinnati, Cleveland and Rochester.

You will need a blended drink recipe, an extension cord, a tent, your cleats and a blender. Bring your top theme and compete for best blended drink! Your player fee covers the tournament, camping, 2 breakfasts, 1 dinner and parties on site. This year, the fee is $75 US ($90 CAN) per player. (See below for details about the pre-payment minimum of 12 players per roster, but we also encourage bigger teams).

HOW TO SUBMIT A BID IN 2006
1. Send us your bid and deposit cheque made out to Karen Hood-Deshon or Giles Deshon for $250 CDN / $200 US to 35 Livingstone Avenue, Toronto, ON M6E 2L7 CANADA.
2. As well as mailing us your bid, email your bid to bids@[nospam]genderblender.org
3. We are encouraging inventive bids, and in particular bids with a charitable angle. Please include ALL the information below!

IMPORTANT INFORMATION ABOUT BIDS AND CHEQUES!
1. Your bid will be complete when we have an email, a banked, cleared cheque and a printed bid.
2. We WILL bank your cheque upon receipt.
3. The bid deadline is April 15.
4. The 40 teams receiving bids will be announced by email on April 22.
5. If your team is not accepted, we will mail back your deposit money around June 1.
6. The All Star Game nominees from the top three finishers in each pool on Saturday will be eligibile to play in the All Star Game. The nominees from all other teams will be eligible to compete in the fastest man and fastest woman races between the periods of the Game. The Game will be continuous play, make it take it, six on six mixed ultimate in three 10 minute periods. Subs on the fly. Entertaining play please.

NOTES:

1. Mailing Address is: Karen Hood-Deshon or Giles Deshon, 35 Livingstone Avenue, Toronto, ON M6E 2L7 CANADA.
2. PLEASE DO NOT send a courier. If you are late, please send by express post.
3. PLEASE print the name of your team on your cheque (cheques should be made out to Karen Hood-Deshon or Giles Deshon).
4. There is no actual team fee - every player just pays a tournament fee. Each team must pay for a minimum of 12 players.
5. Bid information includes:
(a) Team Name
(b) City of Origin
(c) Captain's Name
(d) Captain's mailing address
(e) Captain's phone number
(f) Captain's email adress
(g) Name of the person who wrote your team's cheque.
(h) Brief description of the team, including your story, who you are, your experience, your history at GB and why you should get in to GB this year.
(i) We think we will finish in (enter an exact number) place (out of 40 teams).
(j) All Star Game Nominees (1 woman and 1 man - include age, height, where they first threw a flick and a maximum of 25 words about who they are).
(k) As much about your Roster as you can give (this denotes organization).
(l) Your Ultimate Idol idea and song
(m) The names of all your players who have competed at all 9 other GBs.
6. No Bribes.
7. Humour is good, but a charity idea is great!
8. If you have your drink idea and overall drink set-up figured out tell us about it.
9. It is NOT good enough to say you've been to all or
most of the previous GB's and expect to get in anymore.

*****Incomplete bids will not be accepted*****

IMPORTANT DATES
* Deposit US$200 (CAN$250) and profile deadline date is April 15.
* The list of teams admitted will be sent out by April 22.
* Captains will have until April 29 to organize their team. Team deposits will be refunded up to April 29 should it be necessary, but we can’t guarantee a refund after that date.
* Pre-payment minimum of a further US$700 (CAN $830) due May 6
* June 3, Friday night party
* June 4, play begins

More details about Gender Blender will be posted to our website over the coming months. Check in regularly:

www.genderblender.org

If you are interested in bidding or volunteering, contact us at giles@NOSPAMgenderblender.org.

Peace.

Dilhan, Giles and Karen
Giles

Postby fuelguyy » Mon Apr 17, 2006 8:39 pm

Are the organizers getting a new band this year or are we going with the Liquidaries again?
fuelguyy

Postby Kevo » Tue Apr 18, 2006 11:42 am

fuelguyy wrote:Are the organizers getting a new band this year or are we going with the Liquidaries again?

Lovin' the Liquidaires. Caught them at a show here in Toronto - always a blast!
Kevo

Postby fuelguyy » Thu Apr 20, 2006 11:59 am

I never questioned they were a good band...I wondered if there was something else out there. Like the food.. it would nice to change it up a little every year. Variety is the spice of life!
fuelguyy

Postby beachbum » Thu Apr 27, 2006 9:41 am

Ah, thanks for the perfect platform to make the following announcment: BEAT is teaming up with The Liquidaires to make the Liqs gig prior to Blender part of our charitable contribution. We hope to see you all out at The Liqs gig on May 27th in support of this most worthy of causes:

The Liquidaires Gender Blender X Warm-up Event for CARAS Band Aid

The Liquidaires have been a part of 'Blender for half of its history, adding the soundtrack for Friday night festivities and helping set the tone for the weekend. This year, to bring everyone together and get the vibe going early, BEAT approached the Liqs about publicizing one of their monthly gigs in the ultimate community and beyond, and donating a portion of the proceeds to a charity of their choice.

On May 27th the party starts at Cervejaria Downtown in Toronto. Showing their support for music development in Canada and commitment to education, the Liquidaires have chosen the Canadian Academy of Recording Arts and Sciences (CARAS) Band Aid, Musical Instruments Grant , as the focus for the fundraising event. "Band Aid … provides $10,000 grants in the form of musical instruments to schools whose music programs have great potential, yet are in need of funding to ensure their sustained growth."

Check it out. Come out to have a good time, and to give something back.

See you there!

- BEAT

CARAS Band Aid:

http://www.carasonline.ca/MUS_bandaid.php

The Liquidaires:

http://www.liquidaires.com

Location/Time: Cervejaria Downtown, Saturday, May 27th, 10:30pm

http://toronto.com/restaurants/listing/000-131-400
beachbum

Postby jed » Tue Jun 06, 2006 11:18 am

So.....
jed

Postby italianshower » Tue Jun 06, 2006 12:05 pm

Well that was my first blender, so I can't compare it to GB's of past, but damn was it a good one. The Fri night party featured too much to list off...... but to start, there was stretcher straddling oral injections, bell ringin, weight guessin, dong whacking, velcro wall jumping, pole walking, movie watchin, hump gamin, human gender blender, .... just to name a few...... and I only remember that much because of collective story telling on Sat..... weather was cold and wet on Sat night but it didn't slow any partying down.

Oh, Fatties won, ultimate was good.
when Masta P was sayin uhhhhhhhhhhh!!!
italianshower

Postby Jesse » Tue Jun 06, 2006 10:16 pm

Jed wrote:So.....

B A N A N A S
102 pics.
Mashed potato soda.

JayZ and Dancin'Guy rocked the party.

And, as if commanded by the Gods, the members of BCP provided stripping opportunities to all teams/players on Friday at Drinko-Plinko AND Saturday at the party!!

Excellent blender - thanks Dilhan/Karen/Giles/baby/volunteers/Fergus!
Great party, great ultimate, great fields, and it's the only party where Livin' on a Prayer gets played several times per night, every year!!!

Any time I take down my tent to find a big, black wig the size of a middle-aged bear beside it is a good weekend in my books.

For those of you who wondered... DrinkoPlinko.com

Jesse
Jesse

Postby Jesse » Wed Jun 07, 2006 10:44 pm

Jesse wrote:B A N A N A S
102 pics.
Mashed potato soda.

Apparently some people are having trouble viewing the pics as posted (using flash/javascript/xml).
So...in hot.damn HTML...
Here are the pics again

If there are any you'd like to print/larger/whatever, post in here or email me.

Once again...that was a great weekend, thanks!

Jesse
Jesse

Ultimate Experience Photos

Postby Blue » Thu Jun 08, 2006 9:29 am

The Ultimate Experience photos of Gender Blender are now online on our photo page.

Enjoy,
Blue

Postby Kevo » Mon Jun 19, 2006 11:59 am

Some random photos of Booyaka's Gender Blender can be found here:

http://www.kevo.ca/picturepages/genderb ... r2006.html

Looking for next year, already!
Kevo
Kevo

Postby jckramer » Tue Sep 12, 2006 6:40 pm

jckramer

Postby lennox » Thu Oct 05, 2006 11:15 am

Anyone have the MMV performance (Spice Girls) on video?
There is no finish line.
lennox

MMV's Spice Grrrrls

Postby lindyloo » Thu Oct 05, 2006 12:04 pm

It's not the whole thing, just a clip taken with my camera.

http://video.google.ca/videoplay?docid= ... 3557402148
lindyloo

Postby mastahmeth » Fri Oct 06, 2006 10:54 am

I just threw up in my mouth a little.

Why can't I look that good in a dress? Damn Yorgos and his curvaceous body. The self-loathing on his face is incredibly attractive.
mastahmeth

Gender Blender 2007

Postby Giles » Mon Mar 12, 2007 12:44 pm

Hi Everyone,

It’s the eleventh Blender and we’re looking forward to getting your bids to join us in lovely Fergus, Ontario June 1, 2, 3, 2007. Please make sure your bids include a cheque, are complete and on time.

** please do not send couriers, please use express post if you are cutting it close**

IMPORTANT DATES
* Friday, April 13 deposit US$200 (CAN$250) and profile deadline date.
* Monday, April 23 the list of teams admitted will be sent out.
* Wednesday, May 2 captains will have until this date to organize their team and confirm attendance. Please note that we can’t guarantee a refund after May 2.
* Wednesday, May 16 pre-payment minimum of a further US$700 (CAN $830) is due
* June 1, Friday night party
* June 2, play begins

Full bidding information and our brand new bid form can be found here:
http://www.genderblender.org/captains.html

Please take a good hard look at the website before emailing us with questions - there's a lot of information up there and we try to keep it current. Looking forward to this year.

Peace,

Karen, Dilhan and Giles
Giles

Postby Giles » Thu Mar 29, 2007 1:33 pm

just a quick bump and reminder - 2 weeks until bids are due

Giles
Giles

Postby Giles » Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:19 pm

another bump and to say that it's only one week until the bid deadline
Giles

Postby Giles » Thu May 10, 2007 8:00 pm

GB is proud to unveil its 2007 logo for the discs...

thanks to everyone who submitted a design and congratulations to Hilary Leung for submitting the successful logo
Giles

Rules

Postby Giles » Tue May 29, 2007 10:41 am

Gender Blender Captains,

I have put the Captains package up at www.genderblender.org. Please note that we are using the 11th edition rules with the modifications expressed below. Please take some time to read the 11th edition or at the very least the cheat sheets the UPA provides here:

http://www1.upa.org/ultimate/rules/11th_links

Modifications:
1. shortish brick, say 10 yards
2. games to 13 including Sunday games, quarters and semis.
3. final to 15
4. two time outs per game (both are floaters, so NOT one per half, and NO time outs after time cap)
5. strict time limit – agree on a watch at the start of the game and when it reaches cap, finish the point. If you are tied play one more
6. footblocks are in unless the captains agree otherwise
Giles

Postby Giles » Wed May 30, 2007 10:57 pm

Hi,

We've finally posted the playing schedule. Sorry about the delay. Next year we probably won't let teams change their names after they put in their bid. If there's a problem, please let us know by 4 p.m. today, otherwise we'll fix it on the weekend.

The schedule is on this page:

http://www.genderblender.org/main.html

Looking forward to another great year in Fergus, keep praying or dancing or whatever you do to make sure the weather is good.

Giles, Karen and Dilhan.
Giles

Postby lennox » Thu May 31, 2007 9:44 am

Is there a link or map somewhere explaining the the names of the various fields?
There is no finish line.
lennox

Postby Giles » Thu May 31, 2007 10:22 am

try here

http://www.genderblender.org/directions.html

in particular these two maps

http://www.genderblender.org/mapfergus.html

and

http://www.genderblender.org/images/maps/sitemap.pdf

all the captains will be given a map

there is a laminated map at the tournament

here is a brief description of where the fields are:

soccer, rugby, tent - all at the camping site/community centre
Vic Park - at vic park - a 5 min drive from the community centre
JD Hogarth - at JD Hogarth school, one block from the community centre
St. Patrick (a.k.a Strathallan a.k.a. St Joseph's) - at St. Joseph's school on Strathallan Street (out near the Beer Store)
Giles

Postby Giles » Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:42 pm

Thanks to everyone for making this year's Gender Blender another great event. Particular thanks to all of those great people who helped out in our time of need including Rachel, Heather, Pierre, B.C., Signa, Flynn, Lesley, Geoff, Mel and I'm sure many many others. Good work Dilhan on controlling most of the event by yourself for the second year running. We just can't seen to stay away from Mt. Sinai on the first weekend of June.

I'm already back from the hospital after having a nail hammered down the length of my tibia (intra medullary nail) to fix spiral fractures of my tibia and fibula (see below). No cast which is weird but I can't weight bear for at least 6 weeks.

Fib

Tib

Giles

Postby Wartank » Tue Jun 05, 2007 3:26 pm

good thing you were wearing your helmet, Giles! I hope the memories of nakedness at the Warriors initiation site helped sustain you through the worst of it. Great work again and, above all, you have all our best wishes for a speedy recovery.
"I do not like swimming. It is too much like . . . bathing." - Worf
Wartank

Postby Big Country » Tue Jun 05, 2007 3:29 pm

Get better soon buddy!
Big Country

Postby lennox » Tue Jun 05, 2007 4:40 pm

Great work again this year. We wish everyone who was injured on that field (Giles' leg, a collar bone and a seizure from what I heard) a healthy, incident free recovery.

At least you got to ride the tank on Friday night!
There is no finish line.
lennox

Postby Lexi » Tue Jun 05, 2007 4:53 pm

I have no doubt that you will make a strong recovery as long as you work on your leg with the same patience and precision you used while toasting your hot dog bun on Friday night. You were by far the perfectionist of GB when it came to our stand.

Best of luck!
-Lexi
Lexi

That Field is Cursed

Postby RyanBriggs » Tue Jun 05, 2007 5:33 pm

Ya that field was cursed! We need to start the tourney with an exorcism and sanctifying of that general area next year.

Giles definitely got it the worst out of everyone though. That's a real heart-breaker when you put so much work into the weekend

The seizure was a guy on our team (Sabotage). He's doing alright by the way, he got out of the hospital later that night and even made it to work on monday. The guy who broke his collar bone did it like two feet in front of me while I was chasing him (a step or two behind) toward the back of the end zone. Apparently it was the poor guy's first tournament ever too. Hopefully he won't throw in the tourney towel.

Another guy no our team picked up a decent ankle injury on that field too that took him out for Sunday. I also laid out for a catch into a firepit on that field and earned the nickname "dirt strip" from the other team along with a couple eyefuls of sand and some scratches. Although, I did get a nifty squirt gun spirit prize out of the deal though!

On a way more positive note our team was totally blown away by what we saw on Friday night, we had no idea what we were getting ourselves into (A GIANORMOUS BOOZE-FEST OF A CARNIVAL). All in all it was one of the best weekends of all time, period. Thanks so much to the co-ordinators and volunteers. Hope to see you all up at Northern Flights here in North Bay, June 22, 23. Bring your drinking pants.

Cheers,

- Briggs
RyanBriggs

Postby greensprout noomen » Tue Jun 05, 2007 5:46 pm

I would agree, that was the field of death.

Add to it's list of victims, one mildly concussed BEAT player. It really was the unseen eighth player - you just couldn't tell who it was playing for at any given moment. Who know's how many players it really claimed.

Maybe next year just call it the "shitter field".
Glen P Oomen

What is the world coming to? http://www.cbc.ca/cp/Oddities/070831/K083106AU.html
greensprout noomen

Postby Shamus » Tue Jun 05, 2007 6:05 pm

Get well soon Giles......many of your fellow Chelsea supporters were devasted to hear that one of our own had sufferred a such serious injury.

Shane/Shimmy (depending on how many beers you've had)
Shamus

Re: That Field is Cursed

Postby AdamBak » Wed Jun 06, 2007 12:52 pm

RyanBriggs wrote:The guy who broke his collar bone did it like two feet in front of me while I was chasing him (a step or two behind) toward the back of the end zone. Apparently it was the poor guy's first tournament ever too. Hopefully he won't throw in the tourney towel.

That would be me, and since it looks like we're sharing x-rays:

Docs say I'm out 12 weeks. However, I'm definitely not throwing in the towel, especially after a party like that!

Last edited by AdamBak on Wed Jun 06, 2007 2:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sticks?
AdamBak

Postby johny_s12 » Wed Jun 06, 2007 1:51 pm

Hey Adam,

I think your nickname "Sticks" might have been for your bones (that collar bone snapped nicely). Were going to miss you this season, so try and sneak out to a few parties. Then get in the gym to put some meat and padding around your body.

Get healthy soon
johny_s12

Postby Otto » Wed Jun 06, 2007 3:41 pm

This BBS thread is making me queezy.
Otto

Postby Giles » Thu Jun 07, 2007 11:07 am

Shamus wrote:many of your fellow Chelsea supporters were devasted to hear that one of our own had sufferred a such serious injury.

Nice one Shaney. It is no surprise that a Chelsea supporter would be dumb enough to confuse me for one of their own. I mean, c'mon:

However, I do have faith in humanity: even in that bizarre section of it that thinks transferring wealth from Russian peasants to spoiled sports stars is a good idea. I will give you a chance to redeem yourself: can you pick the chelsea fan in this shot?

Giles

Postby dgwithers@gmail.com » Thu Jun 07, 2007 11:19 am

oh Giles - best wishes for a speedy recovery. I'm sorry that's happened. My stomach is also sorry... Ouch.
dgwithers@gmail.com

Postby Happy Camper » Thu Jun 07, 2007 2:53 pm

Giles - while I still do wish you a speedy and full (at your age this is just as important) recovery, I am more worried about your poor child.

Why subject him to a lifetime of frustration and disppointment? I mean, you might as well have him be a Manchester City fan.

Go Chelsea!
Winners never quit and quitters never win. Cheaters, however, go on to win home run titles.
Happy Camper

Return to Tournaments